News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ZyXEL Routers and ObiHai Devices

Started by theshiv, November 28, 2014, 08:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theshiv

Hi all,

Is anyone using a ZyXEL router? I'm using the USG50, and no matter what I do have issues that mimic the SIP-ALG issues. However, I have disabled all SIP-ALG settings on the router itself. The issues I experience are calls that don't come through and voice being dropped in the middle of calls.

I tried setting up the port my Obi is plugged into as a DMZ, but that didn't do anything.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

drgeoff

As the USG50 is only a router you must have a separate modem or some device that provides you with "the internet" as  ethernet.  If your OBi is set to use DHCP you can connect it directly to that feed.  (Reboot the OBi after connecting.).  Make some test calls.  If you still experience problems then they are not caused by your router.

theshiv

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have a modem and internet in addition to the ZyXEL. To be honest I assumed that went without saying.

Here is my configuration:

MODEM/ISP > ZyXEL WAN 1 :: LAN 3 > OBi202 > Home Phone

drgeoff

Quote from: theshiv on November 28, 2014, 09:46:58 AM
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have a modem and internet in addition to the ZyXEL. To be honest I assumed that went without saying.

Here is my configuration:

MODEM/ISP > ZyXEL WAN 1 :: LAN 3 > OBi202 > Home Phone
Some people have modem plus router in one unit and cannot get access to the "join" between the two.  And some people use the word "router" when they have such a modem/router.  That's why I had to look up the details of your ZyXEL.

Try taking the ZyXEL out of the configuration and test it.  This is only temporary.  No point in trying to figure out what is wrong with the router if the problems still exist without it!

theshiv

It's driving me crazy. Right now my Obi Dashboard is showing my Obi202 as "offline," but I'm able to place outgoing calls. It's a total crapshoot if the person on the other end will be able to hear me. It's also a total crapshoot if someone calls and my phone rings.

I have Vestalink service, and Vestalink shows the Obi202 as connected.

My gut tells me that some setting on my router is causing this, but I've disabled all SIP-ALG settings. Also, using DMZ on the specific port did not do anything.

I'm completely dumbfounded.

drgeoff

theshiv

Thanks, that explains the "offline" issue.

However, my main problem is all the other issues. This has been going on for a while. If SIP-ALG is disabled, yet similar problems persist, I'm just at a loss for how to fix the problems.

drgeoff

Have you followed my advice to make some tests without the router in circuit?  I won't be offering any more advice until you do.