News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 flashing green light

Started by MParente, November 24, 2014, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MParente

Hi all. I'm new here. I am excited about this Obihai technology and can't wait to make it work right.

I bought my device from Amazon.com. I spent the weekend trying to get familiar with it. I then discovered I kind of did some things out of sequence. I signed up for 2 unlimited lines with PhonePower; and then was familiarizing myself with the unit. I then stumbled across the fact that the light to the right of the power light was flashing green.

Lucky I have some time with PhonePower as the local numbers that I have with MagicJack will be ported over to the PhonePower service before they activate my service. I am thinking I should notify PhonePower that I have a potential problem with my Obihai Obi202 unit so that they hold off on the start of the phone service.

I am a little confused here now as on the Obi Dashboard the status of the device is a green circle. Instinctively I would assume a green circle would indicate all systems go; however I could be wrong as right now it is only an assumption.

Again I went exploring self help and noticed it was talking about a flashing green light. I read it and it indicated that it should not be this way. So I follow along the troubleshooting and somehow I think I have a problem with the 202. There are 5 indicator lights. I know the first is power and it is on. The second has an elliptical icon and is flashing green.  The 3rd has 3 rectangles and the light is not on. The fourth and fifth have icons of a telephone handset and are both on (solid green). I am thinking that the second light should not be flashing; am I right?

I went to troubleshooting and started along. It's good to go over my work from yesterday with fresh eyes. I see that it says if the power light is flashing green it means that the OBI cannot get IP from my router. I see now that this is not the case. It is the elliptical (2nd light) that is flashing. Is this normal?

It then says "Verify if Ethernet cable is securely connected, and you are seeing a link light on the router port where your OBi connects." Yes, there is a link light on the router which is a Linksys E4200 V1 dual band running Tomato RAF software flash.

It then says "For OBi202 users, make sure you connect to the "Internet" port (blue label). Reboot your router." I did that and the status of the lights is as stated above.

The power LED is a solid green.  The instructions then say "Then try to call **9 222 222 222 to reach our echo test." I did this and I got "the number **9 222 222 222" was rejected by the service provider ... reason is "404". Obviously this does not work. In a quick internet lookup I found "� If the voice also says "... Reason is 404," and you are calling an OBiTALK OBi No., check that your OBi device is online by placing a test call to: **9 222 222 222. If the OBiTALK echo service call does not go through, please check your Internet connection to the OBi." Seeing this worries me as it seems to think that there is a problem to connecting to the internet. This was found in the web page "http://www.obihai.com/GoogleVoiceUG". This seems to point to Google voice. Now I live in Canada. I could not get a Google number as you must live in the US. I tried to setup Google voice and unless there is a work around or a spoofing technique then I'm not sure how I would set up Google Voice with the Obihai. Am I right this is a Google Voice problem and not an Obihai box problem?

I do have other questions but will limit it to this as I need to know if the flashing elliptical light (2nd light) blinking is an issue.

Thank you in advance for any and all help offered.

:)

drgeoff

The elliptical one flashing green is normal.  It is the internet data activity light.

MParente

Thank you for your response drgeoff.

That is good to know and now I am somewhat relieved.

The thing that still concerns me still is the "Then try to call **9 222 222 222 to reach our echo test." Since this test failed I am assuming this would be the Google Voice problem of not having a Google Voice number assigned by Google?

SteveInWA

Quote from: MParente on November 24, 2014, 09:40:41 AM
Thank you for your response drgeoff.

That is good to know and now I am somewhat relieved.

The thing that still concerns me still is the "Then try to call **9 222 222 222 to reach our echo test." Since this test failed I am assuming this would be the Google Voice problem of not having a Google Voice number assigned by Google?

Hi:

This has nothing at all to do with Google Voice.  When you enter the echo test number, your OBi box is trying to call Obihai's echo test server directly, using the OBiTALK network.

Just by coincidence, the service is down at the moment.  It seems to go offline now and then, and then somebody probably reboots something,  and it works again later.  There's nothing wrong with your device or your network configuration.

This won't impact your SIP service provider setup (e.g. PhonePower), either -- it's purely a failure of the echo test equipment on Obihai's end.

drgeoff

Calling **9 222 222 222 has no connection with nor dependence on Google Voice.

I have just this moment tried calling that number and it isn't working.  I suggest you wait until I or someone else confirms that it is working again.

Edit: Between starting this reply and posting it I was interrupted by SWMBO and SteveInWA has meanwhile given the same answer.

MParente

Thank you drgeoff and SteveInWa for your answers.

Now that makes me feel a bunch better and totally relieves my concern that my unit is faulty. You would think that something so important as that test to prove to customers that their units are working right would be given a high priority at keeping it functionally working 24/7.

I have full confidence in your answers as they echo each other. Thank you both!

SteveInWA

Ha ha, the Obihai echo test doesn't work at the moment, but we "echoed" the same answer, so it must be true  ::)

MParente

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 24, 2014, 11:22:05 AM
Ha ha, the Obihai echo test doesn't work at the moment, but we "echoed" the same answer, so it must be true  ::)

Right on brother!

In spite of the echo test not being functional, the knowledge of the members here are indeed in echo synchronization.

;)

drgeoff

At the time I posted this it was working again.

MParente

Quote from: drgeoff on November 24, 2014, 12:02:57 PM
At the time I posted this it was working again.

Thanks for the heads up drgeoff.

I tried it just now and it echoed back like I was in the Grand Canyon.

Yippppyyy!

Thanks for your help.