News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Chat always ringed even when uncheckd

Started by Hortoristic, November 22, 2014, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

I had to mess with my GV settings recently.  Now when I un-check inside GV settings, the Google Chat and select Callentric - it seems to always KEEP forwarding the call to Google Chat and Callcentric. 

When phone rings it is being forwarded to both Chat and Callcentric at the same time.   I have Chat unchecked - what gives?  Can I change an OBI setting to not allow incoming Google Chat calls - as I only want to use GV for outgoing?

SteveInWA

Hi:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Remove the check mark next to the Google Chat forwarding destination.   That's all you need to do.  There is no way for your OBi to receive calls from Chat if the forwarding destination isn't checked -- if you are, then you have some other issue.

SteveInWA

Regarding your other post:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6485.msg59610#msg59610

If you are still trying to configure your device locally, or attempting to downgrade, then all bets are off.  The 202 does work properly with Google Voice when used with the latest firmware and the portal.  You can simply set up Google Voice, using the OBiTALK portal, and then disable portal access and do everything else from the local interface if you really want to do it that way.  Azrobert has a post describing how to do that.

Hortoristic

Even unchecked, with only one sip number checked, still rings chat. Crazy

SteveInWA

That is simply impossible, if you have correctly set up your OBi.  Google Voice cannot/will not not ring the Chat destination unless the box is check-marked.  You may be looking at a different account on the GV website, than is configured on your OBi.

The fool-proof way to resolve this is: 

Open a web browser.  Log onto the correct GV account, to the Phones tab of Settings, per my last post.  Confirm that you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the page, not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number", and below that, is indeed, the Google Voice number in question, and not some other GV number you may have acquired.  If it is not the correct account, then you'll need to figure out the login credentials for whatever other GV account you might have created, and log in to that account.

Leave that page open and logged into your correct GV account.  Press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab.  Log into your OBiTALK portal page.  Delete the OBi off of your account entirely.  Wait a couple of minutes and it will send a factory reset command to your OBi.  For good measure, I would then manually factory reset it again, just to make sure it is completely clean.

Add the OBi back to the OBiTALK portal, using the **5 method.  Now, configure Google Voice on one of the Service provider slots.  It will pop up a browser window, logged into that same Google account, and ask for your permission for OBiTALK to access the appropriate services on your GV account.  Then, it will spin its wheels for a few minutes while it exchanges secure access tokens via OAUTH 2.0.  After it is done, it is in fact set up with that GV account and nothing else.

Call your GV number.  It will only ring that OBi if Chat is check-marked.  After you have this tested and working correctly, you can then add your SIP account to another SP on the device.

Hortoristic

Steve - I haven't followed your instructions yet - but I wanted to give screen shots showing what I'm experiencing.  As you can see Google Chat shouldn't be calling my OBI, only the Comcast - but my screen shot of when I call shows they are both trying to ring me:

azrobert

You can block all inbound calls for an SP trunk like this:
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {}

SteveInWA

Quote from: Hortoristic on November 23, 2014, 03:05:04 PM
Steve - I haven't followed your instructions yet - but I wanted to give screen shots showing what I'm experiencing.  As you can see Google Chat shouldn't be calling my OBI, only the Comcast - but my screen shot of when I call shows they are both trying to ring me:

Thanks for the screenshot.  On Google Voice Settings, click the "Groups and Circles" tab.  Edit EVERY row, starting with All Contacts.  Look for an unwanted entry for Google Chat, and uncheck it or just set All contacts to "ring default phones".  You can set the other rows to recursively inherit the settings for All Contacts, or you can set them to custom values.  Be sure to save every page you edit or even just view, by clicking the Save button.  Somewhere, you've got GV set to forward to Chat.

Hortoristic

SteveInWA - you rock!  There was a couple rows with references to Google Chat - after selecting "default number" - everything started working great!  Unclear how the setting got there - but I'll never forget to look there again!  Thanks man!

I think I asked before; but are you in Seattle area?  I work in Olympia.

SteveInWA

Ha ha ha, glad I finally worked my way down the list of possibilities to the one that bit you. 

We see this occasionally.  When an account first adds forwarding phones, they're added to all the groups, too, by default.  I think what happens, is that the user re-configures one or more groups with non-default settings, or otherwise selects a choice other than recursively referencing the default forwarding phones, and then deletes a forwarding phone (including the Chat "phone") from the Phones tab, and then adds it back.  This will re-add the unwanted forwarding destination to the group(s), or fail to honor a previously-cleared check-mark.

I've gotten in the habit of editing and saving the groups and circles settings again, after messing with the default phones, just to make sure they're all set the way I expect.

I'm in Kirkland, and fun fact:  I am within walking distance of Google's Kirkland campus, which has a construction project going on now, to double its size, and it's the second largest campus, next to the Googleplex in Mountain View.