News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

cant get GV setup for new Obi200

Started by oldunixguy, November 28, 2014, 12:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldunixguy

I first purchased an Obi110 and set it up on GV no problem. Then I got an Obi200 and did the same without any problems. Next I got another 200 but I had a very difficult time setting up GV for that one. The problem here was that GV never showed the links that one selects for the recover phone number. What a pain to get that working. In fact, I can't figure out how I actually did it. I know I found some obscure caveat and instruction after days of google searches... I have unique and separate gmail accounts for each of these as demanded by GV.

Then I tried to help my friend with his new Obi200. This is still not working and I have been working on it for over a month now!!!

I created a new gmail account. I initially used my cell number for the gmail recovery number or what ever it is called so I could get started. Then he provided me his cell number. I changed the gmail number to that cell number.

Next I created a new google voice account using this new gmail account. I selected the link to obtain a phone number. I picked a number from the list and I am certain that it was OK with that.

Then a week went by before we could finish up and install the Obi200 at his home.

I logged in to the GV account and it was empty! The GV selected free phone number was gone and no phone numbers were display on the account.

Next I tried to get a new phone number. I picked one off the list and moved forward. However, GV reported in the top of the phone number selection applet that the cell number could not be used (or something like this). So I went back to the gmail to change that phone number to his land line phone.

This is where it got stopped. That app to changes that ONLY allows for SMS text messages now! His home phone has no texting service.

When I set up one of my other ones it was a voice call with the code in audio- no text.

There was NO option to select anything else. The app states it will SMS message.. nothing else.

I am completely stuck.

In desperation I ventured off to another google mechanism that I think is part of their "one login crap". That had some different account settings and a way to change the associated phone number with the account (maybe it was a recovery number- I'm not sure now). That let me change that phone number but it did not carry over to GV as that still had the other number still in it that I can't make go away since I cant get the SMS message code to change it. I cant believe how many circles I have gone thru with this crap... hundreds of times.

1. Why did GV prevent me from obtaining the free number because it did not like his cell number as the recovery number? He has no other VIOP services or even gmail accounts.

2. How do I get past this roadblock that it will only let me switch the recovery number using SMS when we only have a POTS phone?

any help would be appreciated.
oldunixguy

SteveInWA

Hi:

I can't make much sense out of your story, partly because you are using a term that may or may not be correct:  "recovery number".

Google Voice is not a free phone company.  It is an inbound call forwarding and message management system.  It requires that you have a working US-based forwarding telephone number to receive forwarded calls.  The OBi acts as another forwarding destination, too, using Google Chat protocol.  To sign up for a GV number, you must first submit your forwarding phone number.  This is not a "recovery" number.

Recovery numbers are added when setting up a Google account (Gmail or Google Voice), for security purposes.  If you forget the password on your account, you can have Google send a text or call your recovery number, to recover the password.  Never use a GV number as a recovery number, since, if you do, and you forget your account password, you will have painted yourself into a corner, unable to access the account to get the password reset.

Now, that said, the sign-up system has a hair-trigger anti-abuse detection algorithm that tries to prevent scammers and spammers from setting up multiple "straw horse" GV numbers, using the same forwarding phone. If you do this, it will block you from requesting a number the second time.

You'll have to start over, with a new Google account and a new forwarding number.