News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

People can't hear me but I can hear them.

Started by obman, December 04, 2014, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obman

I have an OBI202 configured with Anveo numbers on SP2 and SP3.  The problem is the following:

1.  A connection is made, either making or receiving a call.
2.  I can hear them.
3.  But, they can't hear me.

This system has been working for more than a year without flaw.  That is, until my lovely ISP (TW) reset my modem and I had to reconfigure everything.

Any clues??

MarkObihai

It seems like there is a problem with your router configuration.  One way audio is usually caused by the router blocking (or impeding) communications in one direction.  This can also be caused by bad SIP ALG implementations, which is common occurrence on many home routers.  I'm jumping to conclusions, but it is possible that the new software your ISP loaded onto your router contains a SIP ALG.

Within the OBi there are a couple of settings you can enable to try and counter the router's bad behaviour:

X_DiscoverPublicAddress
X_UsePublicAddressInVia

These are located in the ITSP A/B/C etc profile for each voice service you are having problems with.

Enable them like this:

Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Mango

Please try Mark's suggestion first, then mine afterward, so that we know specifically which settings solved the problem.

Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> SIP
ProxyServerPort: 5010
OutboundProxyPort: 5010
X_ProxyServerRedundancy: (checked)
X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix: (checked)

Voice Services >> SP2
X_UserAgentPort: 37845

37845 is a random number.  If SP2 works, you can use a different random number between 20000 and 65535 for SP3.

If the above does not work, change Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> SIP >> ProxyServerTransport.  It may be set to either UDP or TCP; change it from whatever it is now.

If you use OBiTALK to configure your device, you will need to use OBi Expert Configuration to make the change.

Let us know how things go.

obman

Problem solved by resetting Obi and totally configuring it.  I did NOT use the automatic Anveo configuration, but used the generic template as suggested at https://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_obi110
.  I also did use port 5010 rather than 5060 as suggested in the link above.

Thanks for your efforts

obman

NOT SOLVED YET - I thought it was !

The real symptom occurs when I place a call through Obi->Anveo, then I can talk but NOT hear.

If I receive a call through Anveo->Obi then I can BOTH hear and listen.

I must be stupid, or it is not obvious, but how do you change the parameters you suggested.  I get to the menu items OK, but they are read-only.

The way I am getting to the menu item is as follows:

OBi Dashboard -> SP1 edit -> Device Coniguration ->OBi Expert Configuration -> Enter OBi Expert -> Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A SIP

ProxyServerPort already set to 5010
   OutboundProxyPort  "      "    "    "
   X_ProxyServerRedundacy is NOT checked - but I can't change it
   X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix         "   "      "           "   "  "      "       "
   etc. with all the other settings

See attached html file for the remaining Service Providers info.

Mango

You would need to uncheck "OBiTALK Settings" beside the option you want to configure.

The symptoms you report now are different from what you reported in your first post.  If my suggestions do not help, navigate to Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> RTP.  Make a note of LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax.

Use your router to create a port forward of this UDP port range, to your OBi's IP address.

One of these suggestions should solve the problem.

obman

Sorry - but unchecking doesn't work.  If I Click on the "ObiTALK Settings" box for that option it moves the check mark to the "Device Default".  But the field is still read-only.  This applies to all settings.  Is there somewhere else I should set it?

drgeoff

Quote from: obman on December 05, 2014, 03:32:45 PM
Sorry - but unchecking doesn't work.  If I Click on the "ObiTALK Settings" box for that option it moves the check mark to the "Device Default".  But the field is still read-only.  This applies to all settings.  Is there somewhere else I should set it?

Untick both boxes.

obman

Yep - unchecking both boxes was really obvious - sorry.

No success with any of the changes.  Changing ProxyServerTransport from UDP to TCP would not allow phone calls to be made.

I do see other port values at the default 5060 rather than 5010, is that expected?  Also, the changes were stacked, so maybe some subset of the changes is needed?

Mango

I doubt a subset of the changes would help.  Doing them all together should be fine.

Did you get the chance to forward your RTP port range (as UDP) yet?  If that does not work, the only other thing I can think of is to look for a setting to disable SIP ALG in your new router.  Changing the ports should in theory have done that, but you can look just in case.  Other than that, I'm outta ammo.

obman

THANKS MUCH - Problem is really solved this time!

The fix was to create a port forward of the associated UDP port range to the Obi IP address as you suggested in Reply #5 above.  I should have tried this earlier, but had problems setting a static IP for the Obi202 which I knew would be needed in the future (dumb procedural mistakes).

Specifically, for my Arris router I used the following for both of my Anveo accounts:

Description Inbound Port       Type  Private IP Addr   Local Port
   Anveo SP4   17100-17198   UDP   192.168.0.197   17100-17198
   Anveo SP2   16800-16998   UDP   192.168.0.197   16800-16998

Deleting the above caused the problem to reoccur, and setting them made it work again.

My SP1 and SP3 Google accounts have always worked correctly, so they don't need the fixes stated above.

The following changes you suggested earlier were NOT needed

X_ProxyServerRedundancy: (checked)
     X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix: (checked)
     Voice Services >> SP2 X_UserAgentPort: 37845

I am curious why the fix worked?

Thanks for your patience and expert advice.  I was about ready to give up.

Mango

I am very happy to hear it worked.  :)

Quote from: obman on December 06, 2014, 11:33:20 AMDeleting the above caused the problem to reoccur, and setting them made it work again.
Good testing.

Quote from: obman on December 06, 2014, 11:33:20 AMMy SP1 and SP3 Google accounts have always worked correctly, so they don't need the fixes stated above.
No surprise - Google Voice uses a different protocol, and this issue acted SIP-related.

Quote from: obman on December 06, 2014, 11:33:20 AMThe following changes you suggested earlier were NOT needed
You may wish to leave them as a matter of course.  Enabling X_ProxyServerRedundancy and X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix allows the device to automatically try one of Anveo's other switches, if the switch you are connected to goes down or becomes unreachable.  Setting a random X_UserAgentPort (different on each SP) can slightly improve security in some situations.

Quote from: obman on December 06, 2014, 11:33:20 AMI am curious why the fix worked?
For some reason, your new router was dropping inbound audio instead of routing it to your OBi.  In theory this should work properly without having to jump through hoops, but routers with poor NAT implementations are not uncommon.