News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi Line as a dial up modem

Started by HH235, December 20, 2014, 09:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HH235

Anyone know if the Obiline can be used as a modem for dial up Inet service.  I am visiting some family over the holidays and they only have a land line and NO CELL or calbe inet service.....I'd like to get my email through say NetZero free for 10 hrs.  Sounds crazy but I don't want to go out and get another device.
Thanks for any help in advance.

azrobert

The OBiline is an adapter not a modem. Even if you had a modem I wouldn't know how to use an OBI with an OBiline to connect and read emails.

You need a computer with a dial-up modem. Do you have an old laptop with a modem?

Here is another free dial-up service:
http://www.fastfreedialup.com/

giqcass

A cheap usb modem would be the best bet.  There are also routers with the ability to connect to dial up. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

HH235

Thanks.  I have a 110 and a 202 and an Obiline.  I was trying to save a little $.  I guess none of them will act as a phone modem then.

azrobert

Where I live most coffee houses, grocery stores and all public libraries have free WiFi. You can use these hotspots and a cell phone to get your email.

giqcass

Every Library I've ever been to has free WiFi.  Every McDonald's and Burger King(accept the ones at truck stops).  Flying J's have free internet with WiFi and often ethernet jacks at the booths.  Starbucks and Tim Horton's.
Most places with free WiFi are no good for video streaming but plenty fast enough for email and web browsing.

Long live our new ObiLords!

zorlac

Quote from: azrobert on December 21, 2014, 06:00:17 PM
Where I live most coffee houses, grocery stores and all public libraries have free WiFi. You can use these hotspots and a cell phone to get your email.

TracFone Samsung Galaxy Centura Prepaid Smartphone $39.99

3G/Wifi connectivity