News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SUCCESS in porting vonage # and using Obi110

Started by Hortoristic, December 23, 2011, 11:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

Have been using Vonage for past 6 years or so.  Started using GV and now Obi110.

Since GV only supports porting numbers from cell phone - I purchased an AT&T go phone and ported my Vonage over to it.  Once that was complete I was able to port over to GV.  So now my GV on Obi110 is using my old vonage number.

Side note - I saw folks going through similar process and they reported WHEN they tried the final port to GV - GV was sometimes reporting they could not port that cell number - and people were getting peeved as now their landline was living on a throwaway phone.

To test, people mentioned to first try the port step on your existing cell phone plan (mine is AT&T) and what was concerning me was GV was telling me my AT&T wasn't availalble for porting - so I had low hopes my AT&T gophone would port - but it did.  Other interesting peice of info is my AT&T plan was already a port from when I was a verizon customer many years back - so I don't know if my verizon number that had been ported to AT&T had complicated it or something.

But anyhow - porting from vonage to AT&T throwaway phone, to GV works and is a champ on the Obi110!

Mercurius

Hi, after successful porting vonage number to GV, can one disconnect the Vonage service?

Should the number be made permanent on GV? Please let me know if I didn't use the correct terminology.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Mercurius, your question has been answered on your other discussion thread.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Hortoristic on December 23, 2011, 11:14:54 AM
Have been using Vonage for past 6 years or so.  Started using GV and now Obi110.

Since GV only supports porting numbers from cell phone - I purchased an AT&T go phone and ported my Vonage over to it.  Once that was complete I was able to port over to GV.  So now my GV on Obi110 is using my old vonage number.

Side note - I saw folks going through similar process and they reported WHEN they tried the final port to GV - GV was sometimes reporting they could not port that cell number - and people were getting peeved as now their landline was living on a throwaway phone.

To test, people mentioned to first try the port step on your existing cell phone plan (mine is AT&T) and what was concerning me was GV was telling me my AT&T wasn't availalble for porting - so I had low hopes my AT&T gophone would port - but it did.  Other interesting peice of info is my AT&T plan was already a port from when I was a verizon customer many years back - so I don't know if my verizon number that had been ported to AT&T had complicated it or something.

But anyhow - porting from vonage to AT&T throwaway phone, to GV works and is a champ on the Obi110!

Thanks for sharing your port-in experience, and I'm glad to hear it worked out.   To be clear, the ability to port in any phone number into GV is determined by the local calling exchange of the number at the number block level, not just the area code or carrier.  So, it's irrelevant if you have one cell phone number that worked, as it may be in a different exchange.  Google's carrier needs to be able to host that number on their equipment, and if they don't have a presence in the exchange, you can't port in the number.  The porting tool in GV will tell you whether or not it can be ported.

Phone numbers are assigned in blocks, to various carriers.  A block is, for example, 415-555-9xxx.
The