News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

port number to Google? good idea?

Started by Samir, November 01, 2014, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samir

I'm thinking of porting my landline number to AT&T prepaid phone and then to Google Voice. Then with my Obi202 device, I'll get new number (phone power service). I'll then setup call forwards in Google Voice from my old number to new number so this way all my friends/family will call old number and calls gets forwarded to new number. Even in future if i get new number, i can simply update forward settings in Google Voice. But now my question is, is it good idea to port number to Google voice? I really don't want to lose my number and I want to keep it for life. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks

AlanB

You should be safe with your number ported to Google Voice. I ported my home number there before and had no problem porting away either when I switvhed to Anveo. Just make sure you don't lose acces to your Google account.

l.snicket

This is something I'm considering as well.  My question is, can anyone tell me whether my voip provider's call log will show inbound calls as originating from the actual caller or will they all show as originating from the number I'm forwarding from?

Such as, originating caller number is xxx-xxx-xxx1 calls my GV number xxx-xxx-xxx2 and gets forwarded to my voip number xxx-xxx-xxx3.  Will the call log at my voip show the call as originating from xxx-xxx-xxx1 or xxx-xxx-xxx2?

lhm.

xxx-xxx-xxx1 unless you change settings in GV to show xxx-xxx-xxx2.

l.snicket