News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't add obi110 as device to obitalk

Started by audioresearch, December 12, 2014, 11:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioresearch

My obi 110 was added to obitalk a long time ago, over a year ago. I just tried to set it up with GV, but the Obitalk portal kept claiming my device was offline even though it was not.

So, I decided to remove it from Obitalk and then add it back, hoping that might fix the problem.

Now, I cannot even add it to Obitalk. I know it has a good ethernet connection to the router because I can access the obi local management webpage directly from my laptop that is connected to the same router.
I can also access the Internet from my laptop.

I totally disabled the firewall in my router.

I have a telephone handset connected to the obi and the obi power led is a solid green. When I go into the management page on my router, it shows that the obi is connected with a correct-looking local ip address assigned to it (10.0.0.159). I can ping the obi ok from my laptop.

When I lift the handset and key in **5 plus the 4 digit number I get from the obitalk page for adding my device, I hear "...number has been sent to the server".

But, the process of adding the obi to obitalk keeps timing out.

I cannot reach the echo server when I key in on the handset
**9 222222222.

I just downloaded the latest firmware and updated the obi. That did not help. I powered off then back on both the obi and the router. That did not help.

I found the reset hole on the bottom of the box and used it to reset the box to all default settings. That did not help either.

What should I do next?

azrobert

The OBiTalk network had problems a couple weeks ago.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9064.0

I just tried an echo test and it failed, so I think OBiTalk is having problems again. You will just have to wait until it's fixed.

audioresearch

My goal is to setup my obi 110 so I can send and receive calls using Google Voice (with no other voip provider).

What, if any, procedure can I use to do that without having to use Obitalk (since Obitalk seems to be not working right now)?

For example, are there certain procedures I can do while on the GV webpages and in the local management web page served up by the Obi 110 box itself that can setup the obi 110 to work with GV?

azrobert

If your firmware level is build 2824 or lower, you can setup GV locally.

Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
You will be presented with a System Status page.
Under Product Info what is your Software Version?

I wonder why some people don't like to use OBiTalk to configure their OBi.

azrobert

Again, only for firmware level build 2824 or lower.

Service Provider -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol:
Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName: Your_ID@gmail.com
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword: Your_GV_PW

Edit:
Obihai won't allow you to downgrade your firmware.

audioresearch

Now I'm sorry I just upgraded the firmware. My firmware now is build 2872.

I guess I'll just have to keep checking to see when Obitalk starts working again.

However, if anyone knows a back door way to downgrade firmware and could send an older firmware file to me, feel free to jump right in! I'm anxious to get my Obi working with Google Voice as soon as possible.

audioresearch

I have another related question.

If an Obi box is already properly registered on Obitalk, does the ability of the Obi 110 to send/receive calls using Google Voice (and only Google Voice with no other voice provider) depend upon servers from Obi being up and working at the time a call is desired to be made or received through GV?

azrobert

After the OBi is configured for GV, OBiTalk is not needed.

ProfTech

Quote from: audioresearch on December 13, 2014, 10:24:08 AM
Now I'm sorry I just upgraded the firmware. My firmware now is build 2872.
I guess I'll just have to keep checking to see when Obitalk starts working again.

It does look like the Obitalk portal has been having problems, at least since Friday. I don't mean to muddy the waters, but I thought I saw a post on here somewhere that said you could set up Google Voice using the Web Admin screens within the Obi itself as long as you are running 2872.  :-\

azrobert

Now that you mentioned it, I think I read somewhere someone configured GV locally with a higher level than 2824. I don't think it was 2872.

It won't hurt anything to try, it just won't work.
If it's working, on the System Status page GV Status will be Connected.

audioresearch

I did try using the procedures described in this thread to configure the Obi 110 with Google Voice using the local Obi box web management page, but the system status shows no sp1 or sp2 service is connected.

My GV phone number is working in that calls made to it do forward to my Comcast number and I am able to receive calls.

Are there any additional procedures I have to use on the Gmail or GV webpages in order to setup GV to work through my Obi 110 (such as enabling voice, downloading and installing any software on my pc, etc)?

azrobert

To use your OBi you will need a phone number.
You can get a free number here:
http://www.ipcomms.net/freedid

I believe these are all New York phone numbers.

Then setup an inbound only SP trunk on your OBi for this number.

Define this number in your GV account as a forwarding number.

Now you can receive inbound GV calls.
You can initiate outbound calls from your GV account.
GV will call your OBi.
After you answer, GV will complete the outbound call.

Initiating the call from the OBi is a more difficult setup.
Get a free account at Tropo.com.
Create a script to initiate the GV call.
Then add code to your OBi to call the Tropo script.
You would dial a number and don't hang up.
When GV calls your phone number you will hear the Call Waiting tone.
Hit Flash and you will be connected to the GV callback.
GV will then complete the outbound call.

I set this up several months ago when everybody thought GV XMPP was being discontinued.
I haven't used it in recently, so I don't know if the script still works.

I won't have much time today and tomorrow to help you, so OBiTalk might be fixed before you get this to work.

I just tried and an Echo test and calling another OBi using the OBiTalk network and both failed. I don't know if OBihai will fix everything at once or 1 at a time, so I would try adding you OBi every couple hours.