News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring.to plans to support older Obi devices.

Started by giqcass, July 01, 2014, 12:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

UPDATE:  Ring.to has changed the status of this idea to PLANNED.  
https://community.ring.to/ideas/1269
I received am email stating the following.
QuoteHello,

You're receiving this email because content you posted has been approved by our moderators.
Support older Obi Devices.

posted Oct 21, 2014 11:11 PM

Please consider support for the older Obi devices.  I know this might not happen immediately but please keep us apprised as to if/when it might come down the pipeline.  I'm a big fan of Bandwidth.com, Republicwireless.com, and of course Ring.to.

Ring.to has upgraded some parts of their website so the old link to this topic should not be used for voting anymore.
Please use the new link if you want to express your support.  https://community.ring.to/ideas/1269

Thanks to everyone that supported this idea.  We don't have a time table yet but Ring.to has acknowledged the demand for this feature and they have agreed to give it to us.

For informational purposes I will leave the original post below.

Quote from: giqcass on July 01, 2014, 12:16:31 AM
If you have an older Obi device that can't be used with Ring.to and you want to use it with their service here is What you need to know.

• Currently there is a cut off.
  • Ring.to made the decision to create the cutoff.
  • There is something you can do.

Ring.to is a business and it is NOT a democracy but they value the consumers opinion.  Ring.to says they don't have the capacity to support us all at this time.  They do have a system to solicit our opinions and they have a voting system in place to see what features are the most popular.  You can join me by voting for support for older Obi devices.  This is by no means a guarantee we will get that support but the more votes this suggestion gets the more likely this support will come.

I have already suggested they support older devices.  Now it is up to you to place your votes at this link. You will need to sign up at Ring.to first but you don't need to port a phone number or pay any money to anyone.  Just join so you may use their forums.

How to sign up and use the forum.
Go to  https://ring.to/signin/ and look for a link that says "New here? Register For a New Account".
Click that link!
They will ask for a name, email address, and ask you to create a new password.  
That's it!
Now you can suggest ideas and vote in the forum.  Please remember to support my idea at this link if you want support for older Obi devices!
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I'm happy to see some supporters in the Ring.to forum.  The suggestion is slowly moving up the food chain but we can still use some support.  Ring.to is a developing service in it's infancy.  With time it may very well overtake Google Voice in this market.  This is a company full of innovators.

Thanks to all of those that support this idea so far.  ;D

ipse

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

giqcass

It looks like we are getting a lot of support.  So far we have 76 votes.  Keep the votes and the comments coming!  ;D

rastoma

Why not support the company that is giving you this amazing deal.... Obi.... and just sell your device on Ebay and buy a new one?  Try Craigslist too.  You'll get 60-70% probably of the cost of a new one.  So what $20 or so and you have a new unit, new warranty and get free calling with ring.to NOW instead of waiting.

giqcass

I just saw the response myself.  :)
QuoteThanks for rallying the troops on this one. We are listening. No promises... but you have our attention.

dima_nyc

do
Quote from: giqcass on July 01, 2014, 12:16:31 AM
If you have an older Obi device that can't be used with Ring.to and you want to use it with their service here is What you need to know.

• Currently there is a cut off.
  • Ring.to made the decision to create the cutoff.
  • There is something you can do.

Ring.to is a business and it is NOT a democracy but they value the consumers opinion.  Ring.to says they don't have the capacity to support us all at this time.  They do have a system to solicit our opinions and they have a voting system in place to see what features are the most popular.  You can join me by voting for support for older Obi devices.  This is by no means a guarantee we will get that support but the more votes this suggestion gets the more likely this support will come.

I have already suggested they support older devices.  Now it is up to you to place your votes at this link. You will need to sign up at Ring.to first but you don't need to port a phone number or pay any money to anyone.  Just join so you may use their forums.

How to sign up and use the forum.
Go to  https://ring.to/signin/ and look for a link that says "New here? Register For a New Account".
Click that link!
They will ask for a name, email address, and ask you to create a new password. 
That's it!
Now you can suggest ideas and vote in the forum.  Please remember to support my idea at this link if you want support for older Obi devices!
done

DaBobo

"Ring.to responded! Nice work!"  Responded how.  Did I miss something.  They are still citing the same cut-off purchase date for the Obi.  How did "Ring.to responded! Nice work!"?

giqcass

Quote from: DaBobo on October 11, 2014, 05:29:49 PM
"Ring.to responded! Nice work!"  Responded how.  Did I miss something.  They are still citing the same cut-off purchase date for the Obi.  How did "Ring.to responded! Nice work!"?
They responded "nice work" for getting their attention.  They know there are a large number of us interested in their service with older OBI devices and when/if they can accommodate us they will.  They say they don't have the resources to accept all of us at this time but when they can they will consider it.  No promises!

giqcass

Ring.to has accepted the suggestion and changed it's status to PLANNED.  Please use the new link below to reference or vote on this topic.  
https://community.ring.to/ideas/1269

Ring.to has updated parts of their website and the old links should be considered dead.  The old links are currently available for informational purposes but they may not be monitored or receive responses.

ceg3

Hope you don't mind my interjecting here, but it just dawned on me I have a recently purchased 200 now and can qualify for RingTo and I just setup Anveo E911 last week.  Would you humor me and give a quick sentence on why RingTo over time would be a better choice than Google Voice?  I am expecting GV to grow in features now that it is supported, but I may be dreaming.  I've never looked into RingTo, because I was using Vestalink, but now that I'm not renewing I'm wondering about the service.  Thanks!

giqcass

Currently I don't consider Ring.to to be a better choice.  They are really the new kids in this arena.  I do however expect them to grow and become a real competitor to Google Voice.  I have an account with Ring.to and I am beta testing the latest Android builds.  They have come a long way in a short time.  Google Voice however is concentrating their efforts on integrated messaging.  For Google phone calling is just part of Hangouts.  I don't expect a lot of innovation relating to the phone calling part of the service.  Ring.to on the other hand is concentrating on a phone calling application/service.  The parent company of Ring.to(Bandwidth.com) is actually one of the partners that allows Google Voice to operate.  I'm also a user of their sister company(Republic Wireless). 

I am expecting some great things from Ring.to and I think there will be benefits to get in early. 

dircom

My one port from an ATT landline to Ring.to was painless. (however just using it for the forwarding feature)

Now I am helping a friend move his ATT landline to an Obi.
We all know the hoops required to jump through to port a landline to GV (or attempt to port)
With a qualifying Obi and Ring.to, does Ring.to operate in a similar manner to GV?  ie, make calls, receive calls, make three way calls, like GV will?  I can't seem to find a FAQ that explains the above.

thanks