News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Not receiving calls on new Obi202 with GV / Google Apps

Started by grumpkat, December 12, 2014, 02:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpkat

I have set up my Obi with Google Voice (via Google Apps) and can make calls, but not receive them.

My "chat" email is the address associated with my Google Apps account @mydomain.com. It's a gmail account but not a "gmail.com" address.

How do I set this up so that I can receive calls on the phone attached to my Obi?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Log on to your Google Voice account, and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Make sure that you are indeed logged onto the correct account (and that it has, in fact, a full-function GV number) by looking for your Google Voice phone number under the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number".  You must have your own GV number to receive inbound calls.

Look at the right side of the page.  Ensure that there is a check mark to the left of the Google Chat forwarding destination.

If that's all correct, and you still don't receive calls, I suggest reviewing the help material and troubleshooting steps, here:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/GV-and-the-OBi

grumpkat

Thanks, all that checks out. I have a new GV number just for this account and it's connected to my Obi. I can call out, but don't receive incoming calls on the connected phone.

Reading through the troubleshooting docs, the only thing I can find is that I'm on a Google Apps account for my chat (@mydomain.com) instead of a @gmail account. It's still Gmail, just configured through Google Apps.

SteveInWA

We really discourage using Google Voice on Apps accounts.  There is a risk that someone (you or somebody else with administrator privileges) could delete or otherwise make a change to the account, and then you'll lose the number, with no way to recover it.

Aside from that, have you (or the admin) enabled Google Voice as an approved service on the domain?  IF not, it won't work.

I recommend that you follow this procedure to transfer your number out of the Apps account, into a gmail.com account:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

grumpkat

Hi Steve, I'm the admin for my Google Apps account and no one else has access.

As I mentioned, I can make outbound calls, but don't receive inbound calls.

Can anyone answer my question about whether the issue is because I'm on Google Apps? I thought I saw this was fixed in a previous firmware update. Is that wrong?

I really need some help getting this fixed.

Ansextra

Not sure if this is the same issue or even relevant but when I call GV from one of my phones that is registered on the GV site (to test) I get a busy signal.  If I call my GV number from an outside line it rings through. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: Ansextra on December 14, 2014, 07:08:03 PM
Not sure if this is the same issue or even relevant but when I call GV from one of my phones that is registered on the GV site (to test) I get a busy signal.  If I call my GV number from an outside line it rings through. 

That's working as designed.

SteveInWA

Quote from: grumpkat on December 14, 2014, 11:06:43 AM
Hi Steve, I'm the admin for my Google Apps account and no one else has access.

As I mentioned, I can make outbound calls, but don't receive inbound calls.

Can anyone answer my question about whether the issue is because I'm on Google Apps? I thought I saw this was fixed in a previous firmware update. Is that wrong?

I really need some help getting this fixed.

You didn't answer my question about having the Google Voice service enabled on your Apps domain (it is not, by default).  Assuming that you have correctly used the OBiTALK portal, and not the local web interface, to add your GV credentials to your OBi device as a service provider, your issue has nothing to do with OBi firmware; the OBi device has no idea whether you are using an Apps account or a Gmail account.  If you haven't done this, then you must complete the setup on the OBiTALK portal.

Apps accounts can and do work with Google Voice, as long as everything is set up correctly, but again, it is strongly discouraged.

The place to start diagnosing this is to remove the OBi from the environment completely, and test your GV number and the account to which it is assigned, for receiving calls.  If you are willing to do this, then read on:

• Unplug the power from your OBi and ignore it for now.
  • Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile device, and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones
  • Make sure that you have the Google Chat forwarding destination listed on your account.  If so, make sure that you also have a check mark in the box to the left of that destination, or it won't ring.
  • Go to your Gmail inbox page, not GV.  Look for your Chat avatar midway down the left side of the page.  It's either a generic blue head and shoulders, or a photo or other image you may have uploaded.  Click it.  Do you get the old Chat program's telephone handset icon to make a call?  Or, do you get the new Hangouts dialog box?  If you've upgraded to Hangouts, then look for the small link at the bottom of the settings box that says "revert to old chat", and click it.
  • Once you are using Chat, not Hangouts, then make an outbound call on your PC, to confirm that it works.  If so, then call your GV number from some unrelated telephone number, and confirm that it does ring on your PC.  Does it?

After you reply, we can continue troubleshooting.

Ansextra

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 14, 2014, 07:39:17 PM
Quote from: Ansextra on December 14, 2014, 07:08:03 PM

That's working as designed.
I am aware of that but mentioned it because everyone might not be.  Thanks.

grumpkat

Hi Steve, yes, GV is enabled on my Google Apps domain.

I did everything you suggested below as well. I also tried calling my number from a different phone (with Obi plugged in) and that did ring through.

Since that was working, I tried again with my cell, and it rings through as well now.

Nothing changed in my configuration since I first posted, so maybe there was some kind of delay with Google or the connections between GV and the Obi? Hopefully now that it's functioning it will keep working.