July 15, 2018, 11:44:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number porting to GV - my experience  (Read 3894546 times)
Pedro675

« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2018, 02:39:38 am »

Thought I'd update my GV/Obi installation and extend thanks for the help. I'm looking to save $55 per month on my home phone bill.

I finally set up the Obi200 with GV voice. Works great, just like a regular phone. Right now we have two phone numbers, the GV and the original number with the telcom. One phone is still receiving calls on the old number. I arranged the old number phone on a separate circuit so there is no power to the Obi device. Once the number porting is complete I'll disconnect at the NID and run a splitter from the OBi device phone port - one wire to the portable phone and one wire to the house wiring. That will give me all phones on GV.

I now have to port my home phone number to GV. I borrowed a friend's old cell phone and will get a 30 day plan with AT&T to test reception at the house, then have them port my home phone number to the cell phone. After that port that home number from AT&T to GV.

Is it advisable to wait some time after porting my home number to AT&T before porting it to GV. Like once it's ported and working on the cell phone can I immediately port to GV?
Pedro675

« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:57 am »

I have just activated my mobile phone with AT&T. Unfortunately, as I feared, the reception at my house is terrible. Virtually none in the house but some outside - go figure on a 4g phone. This area has always been a dead spot, but I thought with 4g it would be better.

I have paid for a 30 day plan and will need to port my home phone to this cell phone then port it to GV. I can go to a friend's house where hopefully the signal is better. What I want to know is how long I have to wait for a return phone call on this cell from GV to complete the port.

Can someone chime in here to help. If it's only a few minutes then I can do it at my friends.

Thanks 
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2018, 10:31:52 am »

Porting land lines takes longer and has more steps than porting from one mobile carrier to another mobile carrier.

It's best to wait several days, preferably a week, after porting a land line number to a mobile carrier, before subsequently porting to Google Voice.  Make sure that both inbound and outbound calling and text messaging work on the mobile phone, before starting the port to Google Voice.  In theory, you should only need to wait until these things start working, but many of the porting problems we see on the Google Voice forum are caused by "churning" ports too rapidly, before the new routing information propagates out to all the carriers.

Instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin

Pedro675

« Reply #423 on: June 01, 2018, 09:54:24 am »

OK I have at last ported my home number from my mobile phone to GV.

Process was trickier than expected. As I posted before I borrowed a friend's unlocked backup cell phone and set up a 1 month plan with AT&T. I chose AT&T because they are the only carrier with an office located close just up the street where I could get SIM cards and account setup.

At my house though I could not get reliable AT&T signal, from low to nil (mostly nil). Fortunately there is a Starbucks next door to the AT&T office with great cell reception. I used Starbucks wifi and went about doing the port. However it took me three tries to get the two digit confirmation code sent to GV. As well, the next screen asked for my AT&T account number, which was nowhere to be found on any paperwork I had or on my web account page. I had to scoot next door to the AT&T office to get them to find my account number while a Starbucks customer guarded my computer and cell phone. Once that was done everything went smoothly. Today I got the notice that the port was successful and a phone test confirmed.

Looking forward to saving $55 per month.

Great thanks to everyone who helped me through the process!!

suidbillyms

« Reply #424 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:14 pm »

Getting ready to buy "T-Mobile Prepaid Complete SIM Starter Kit". Does it make a difference if bought from Amazon or T-Mobile directly? I read in the Amazon comments for the item that if bought from Amazon you have to add a minimum of $10 when activating but only $3 when purchased from T-Mobile. Is this accurate? Thanks.

colby352

« Reply #425 on: July 02, 2018, 02:21:27 pm »

I will try my best to keep this short and sweet! My mom lives next door. She is on fixed income and tired of bills increasing in price. So I wirelessly bridged my house with hers using 2 ubiquiti nanostation m5. She has her own ASUS router in Access Point mode. So far its all working out great with speeds from 60-70 mbps! But she wants to keep her landline spectrum number.

I ported her Spectrum line to T-Mobile Prepaid $3/month. The line has been ported and active for couple days now BUT Google Voice still says, "Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.

From my understanding its not possible so whatever it is what it is. I thought about getting a MagicJack or a Ooma Telo but the reviews seem AWFUL! Since we already have the OBi200 I have been thinking about porting her number to callcentric and have them be the VOIP provider and its only like $6/month unlimited.

Has anyone gone this route and have any feedback theyd like to provide? I just want to make sure that callcentric  is decent and won't be awful call quality or wont crap out. Hope the port doesn't take long.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »

Callcentric is just fine, but they may not be able to port the number, either; you'll just have to try it and find out.

Of course, you can simply get her a new phone number.

sostpm

« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:00 am »

Good question.. I thought what you did with T-mobile was correct. I got my GV phone port to work because my cell phone actually answers on inbound calls but.. I got the "OOPS message from GV indicating that the port did NOT work. So I'm not sure it will work for you. I got the very same messages you did. What I wanted was to ring my home portable phones as well on inbound calls. They do NOT ring but my cell phone does get inbound calls and it rings.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  

Jump to: