News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie Obi202 user: Did I make the right choice for use with Cisco 79xx?

Started by CANE_MANny, December 22, 2012, 07:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CANE_MANny

I am a current MagicJack user and am ENDING my subscription at end of year because among other complaints, I would like to use some CISCO phones (7970, 7960) that I have which I cannot with MagicJack's closed system. 

I am really EXCITED with what I read of Obi202 especially link for using Obi202 as google voice gateway using Cisco SIP phones.

http://blog.obihai.com/2012/08/use-your-obi202-as-google-voice-gateway.html

My concern is that I see a Cisco SPA phone as example and searching through threads I am not sure if ANYONE has been able to make a Cisco 79xx SIP phone (which I own) work with Obi202.  I know it is NOT plug and play and i am cool with that being an engineer .  I am receiving my Obi202 today and am excited BUT I am still concerned if I will be able to use my phones.  I will be OK if there is some functionality loss BUT need to do basics of ring/receive call/call out/etc.  Any wisdom from experienced and expert users here would be appreciated.

zapattack

The phone must support SIP. If it is SCCP only, it will not work.
If SIP compatible, check the setup menu for the following settings (per OBi instructions):
     EXT 1/Proxy = (500111345.pnn.obihai.com:5061)
      EXT 1/User ID = (1001)
      Ext 1/Password = (AnyPhonePassword)
      EXT 1/Register Expires = (60)
      EXT 1/Register = (yes)
      SIP/Send Resp To Src Port = (yes)
This is all that is required to connect to the OBi.
Most of these phones have built-in phone books, call lists, redial, hold etc. .
Dial Map totally optional. Everything else should use default. Do a full reset before starting.

cottanman

Wow, @CANE_MANny @zapattack.. now I am in a thread where people trying to integrate Cisco 79XX with obihai 202. I am having Cisco 7970 and I am just a layperson :)

Do I have to use an power adapter to power Cisco 7970 phone? I connected to the Obihai 202 lan port and there is not power in 7970?

drgeoff

Quote from: cottanman on December 27, 2014, 04:10:40 PM
Do I have to use an power adapter to power Cisco 7970 phone? I connected to the Obihai 202 lan port and there is not power in 7970?
If you expect the 202 to provide PoE to the 7970, your expectation will certainly not be met.