News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 and GV, possible to ring on Google Hangouts on Computer also?

Started by jcosix, December 25, 2014, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcosix

Hello,

I just setup an Obi200 for my wife for Christmas.  I've paired it with her Google Voice number and everything is working.  If we dial her GV number, the our cordless phone rings.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is that her Google Hangouts on her Computer (a Macbook Air) doesn't ring anymore.  She wants the ability to have incoming calls ring on Google Hangout also, in addition to the cordless phone connected to the Obi200. Is this possible?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Hi:

Getting your wife an OBi for Christmas sounds like getting her an ironing board or vacuum cleaner. And, when it seems to have stopped some existing good thing from working (ringing Hangouts), I can just imagine the spousal discord.   ::)

So, let's try to figure this out.  Hangouts works independently from the legacy Google Chat protocol that OBis use. As long as you (or your wife) are logged into Hangouts on any Hangouts client (laptop/desktop via Gmail, via the new Hangouts Chrome browser web app or extension, or via Google+), or via an Android or iOS device, any/all logged-in and enabled Hangouts clients will ring.  Using an OBi should have no effect on that.

You can unplug the OBi to confirm this.

Using a computer, with the current stable or beta version of Google Chrome Browser, go to Gmail (not Google Voice).  Look for your chat avatar along the middle left side of the web page.  It's either a generic head and shoulders icon or a photo you uploaded.  Look at my attached screenshot.  If it looks like that, then you are using Hangouts.  If not, then you're using old Chat.  In that case, click the icon, then click the "Try the new Hangouts" link.  Once you are using Hangouts, then click the small down-arrow next to your avatar to open Hangout settings.  Make sure that receiving inbound calls is enabled, per my second screenshot.

Optionally, you can install the Hangouts web app from the Google Chrome web store here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hangouts/knipolnnllmklapflnccelgolnpehhpl?hl=en

jcosix

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful! After looking more closely at her issue, I found she was using Safari and Chrome.  On Chrome, she had multiple google accounts logged in at once.  I switched her to Chrome, logged out of all of her accounts, then logged back in using the account associated with the Obi200's Google voice number. A test call rang on both the cordless phones and her Macbook Air.  She's a happy camper.  

I believe the issue was that when multiple accounts were logged into Chrome, the default account (i.e. the first account that was logged in) was not the account associated with the Obi200 Google voice number.  Thanks for your help!

SteveInWA

Great!  I'm glad you figured it out.  Google does allow multiple sign-on sessions in a web browser, and it can get tricky when using some functions like this.