News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

USING A SPLITTER TO CONNECT THE OBI 100 ?

Started by freedave, January 06, 2015, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freedave

My computer and another person's computer are connected by a wire to a wireless router which is outside our apartment.  I connect to the internet by an ethernet cable which goes to a splitter which connects both computers to the router.  He suggested that I use a splitter on my computer so that I can connect the computer to the internet and also to the Obi 100.  I have very little idea of what to do.  Who could help?

drgeoff

I suspect the "splitter" is an ethernet switch.  I've never seen one of those with less than 5 ports.  Try looking for a spare socket on the "splitter" to plug the Obi into.

freedave

I don't understand -- there is apparently no one I can talk to at Obihai -- is there someone I can talk to by phone?

SteveInWA

Your issue has nothing to do with Obihai, actually.  It's just a very basic computer networking "how to" question. 

Network routers for home use usually have a 5-port Ethernet switch built in. On the back of the router are usually 5 female Ethernet jacks.  Ethernet cables plug into those jacks, and the other end of the cables plug into computers or other network devices, like an OBi box.  I can't make any sense out of your post, with regard to where the cables are running.  You mention a "splitter", and like drgeoff said, this is probably another Ethernet switch.

Router-->Switch--->computers and other gear

Find the switch.  Plug another Ethernet cable into it and plug the other end of that cable into your OBi.

If this doesn't make sense, you will need to find someone who understands networking to help you; it's too hard to explain this by typing messages back and forth.

MurrayB

You will receive the quickest, most concise, and accurate assistance on the forum. Everyone here will be patient to assist you.

Perhaps a hub or router is being referred to as a splitter.

azrobert

A switch is a way to connect 2 more remote devices with 1 long cable to a router. You connect the router to the switch with a long cable then 2 short cables from the devices to the switch.

See: http://www.newegg.com/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30?cm%5Fsp=Cat%5FWired%2DNetworking%5F1%2DVisNav%2D%5F%2DSwitches&Order=PRICE

Pick 1 with a lot of positive reviews. I have a relatively cheap switch that works perfectly.

zorlac

Quote from: azrobert on January 07, 2015, 10:44:21 AM
A switch is a way to connect 2 more remote devices with 1 long cable to a router. You connect the router to the switch with a long cable then 2 short cables from the devices to the switch.

See: http://www.newegg.com/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30?cm%5Fsp=Cat%5FWired%2DNetworking%5F1%2DVisNav%2D%5F%2DSwitches&Order=PRICE
Your "splitter" might look something like this.

freedave

Thank you very much for these responses.

I'm getting the idea now -- yes, the back of the "splitter" has five ports like the image I just received.

The router is outside my apartment -- it is for the whole apartment building.

My ethernet cable connects to a TRENDnet 5-Port ethernet switch which is somehow connected to the router.

The guy who has the ethernet switch calls it a splitter -- it is in his room -- the ethernet cable for my computer plugs into it through a wall -- there is currently one free port -- he told me that he is afraid that if another ethernet cable is plugged into it, it might cause an overload.

Any other suggestions?

Dave

drgeoff

You'll need to paraphrase this.  His talk of overloading is male bovine excrement.

azrobert

If he won't let you use the last port on the switch you can get your own switch.
Disconnect the cable from your computer and connect it to your switch.
Then use 2 more cables to connect your computer and OBi to the switch.
I just tried this configuration and it does work.

Newegg has good prices.
See the link in my last post.

freedave

Thank you very much, drgeoff and azrobert.

He has agreed to let me use the last port on his switch.

So we will connect another ethernet cable from the Obi to his switch, correct?

Also, if I do not have regular analog phone service, I could not make and receive calls through the regular telephone lines by connecting the Obi 110 to a regular analog telephone jack, correct?

Dave

zorlac

Quote from: freedave on January 07, 2015, 06:12:28 PM

Also, if I do not have regular analog phone service, I could not make and receive calls through the regular telephone lines by connecting the Obi 110 to a regular analog telephone jack, correct?
Dave
If you're absolutely sure there is nothing outside connected to the old phones in your apt you could use a Y jack from the obi to one phone on a wall jack and be able to use your old touch tone phones as before.
But if your telephone line IS NOT isolated (physically disconnected) from the phone Co bad things might happen to your obi box.

LeoKing

Quote from: azrobert on January 07, 2015, 04:53:33 PM
If he won't let you use the last port on the switch you can get your own switch.
Disconnect the cable from your computer and connect it to your switch.
Then use 2 more cables to connect your computer and OBi to the switch.
I just tried this configuration and it does work.

Newegg has good prices.
See the link in my last post.

I would get your own switch and do what azrobert said ^^^^ .

Besides Newegg, Amazon also has good & inexpensive switches on these pages.

drgeoff

Quote from: freedave on January 07, 2015, 06:12:28 PM
Thank you very much, drgeoff and azrobert.

He has agreed to let me use the last port on his switch.

So we will connect another ethernet cable from the Obi to his switch, correct?

Dave

I don't understand your question.

Your phone instrument does not have to be connected directly into the PHONE socket of the OBi100. You can connect that port to the apartment phone wiring and have up to about 4 phones on the apartment wiring. But you MUST NOT do that if the apartment wiring is connected to any other phone system. The OBi100 could be damaged.

freedave

Thank you again -- I really appreciate all these responses.

I am planning on cancelling my Verizon land line phone service after the Obi is working stably.

Is there any reason I would need the Obi 110 instead of the Obi 100?

And why might it be preferable to get my own ethernet switch?

Dave

azrobert

An OBi110 is used to connect to a PSTN line. You would not need it.

I don't know how close you are to the switch, but a 25-50 foot cable will cost as much or more than a switch. You would need 2 short cables with a switch, but they are cheap. You wouldn't use the last port on the current switch.

LeoKing

Quote from: freedave on January 08, 2015, 09:10:38 AM

I am planning on cancelling my Verizon land line phone service after the Obi is working stably.

Dave

I agree with what azrobert said. The OBi110 is much bigger in size than the OBi100. The difference b/w the two is the OBi100 does not have the LINE port (FXO) that the OBi110 has to connect the incoming PSTN line. I have two OBi110's and I used to connect the AT&T landline to this LINE port to use 911 and also to make & receive the calls on the AT&T line via the phone connected to the OBi110. Since you are not going to have the landline service, the OBi100 is all what you will need.

Having your own switch will be more convenient for you because the switch will be right in your apartment next to your PC and therefore, the OBi100 can be placed in your apartment, too, without running long cable from your friend's apartment. Also, you will still have a couple of spare ports on your switch for future use.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: freedave on January 08, 2015, 09:10:38 AM

Dave

freedave,  I agree with azrobert & LeoKing that an OBi110 is will not be needed.  I suggest that you compare the OBi200 to the OBi100 which is slightly more expensive but adds additional features. 

I have an OBi100, OBi110, OBi200 and an OBi202.  I think the OBi200 is well worth a few extral dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-T-38/dp/B00BUV7C9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420738285&sr=8-1&keywords=obi200

Check the comparision chart on down the page on the following link to the OBi200 on Amazon.com.

BigJimMcD

freedave

Thank you, again.

The Obi has to go through my friend's ethernet switch to get to the router, and I already have an ethernet cable that I can use to connect to his switch.

I can always get my own switch if I need it.

So I suppose I will just order the Obi 200.

Do I have agreement on that?

Dave

azrobert

Quote from: freedave on January 08, 2015, 10:13:03 AM
I already have an ethernet cable that I can use to connect to his switch.

Don't you need the existing cable for your computer?