News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

busy signal when I try to place a call

Started by ja_ys, January 13, 2015, 01:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ja_ys

Hi , I get a busy signal when I attempt to place a call using GV. How can I correct this?
Thanks...

drgeoff

Would you expect an auto mechanic to be able to tell you how to fix your car if you phoned him and simply said "My car won't start"?

There are some very clever people here but not many are clairvoyant.

ja_ys

:)Well when I try to make a call using my google voice (SP1 using OBI100) I only get a busy signal :( the called phone # does not ring.
Can anyone suggest a solution to this . It previously worked fine.
Thank you for any help.
(The auto mechanic could probably tell me six things he suspects from that description as to why it won't start unless all the cars he worked on always started .So yes.)

SteveInWA

This is usually an indication that you didn't add the Google Chat forwarding destination to your Google Voice account settings.

What you are hearing isn't a legitimate busy signal, but an error condition generated by the OBi.

Log into your Gmail (not GV) account on a computer's web browser, with the Google voice and video chat browser plugin installed, and allowed/activated to run, and then make one outbound call from Gmail.  This will (re)add Chat to your GV phone settings, here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Complete GV setup instructions are here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

ja_ys

Thank you ! I managed to first place a call using Gmail and the call worked and then I tried from my Obi SP1 GV # and the call worked no busy signal .I think it works .  8)  Google chat now is back as an option.

drgeoff

Quote from: ja_ys on January 13, 2015, 04:18:44 AM
It previously worked fine.
Even that snippet gives useful info to anyone trying to help.  Without knowing that we would have to include the possibility that this was a new setup that you'd never had working properly.

SteveInWA

It's not always the fault of the person reporting the problem, when the person reading the report doesn't know the answer... you've made your point.

dircom

:)....................
(The auto mechanic could probably tell me six things he suspects from that description as to why it won't start unless all the cars he worked on always started .So yes.)

But if you mentioned to the auto mechanic that a low fuel warning light was flashing, right before the car would not start, perhaps the auto mechanic, would not have to make a list of 6 things for you to think about.

Or my xxxx is not working (oh, forgot to mention we had a lightning strike last night)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you our power is out)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you we had new carpet put in, and all the devices were disconnected)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you I never set it up)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you I spilled coffee on it yesterday)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you I have been having problems with my cordless phone)
can't call anyone (oh, forgot to tell you, I can call everyone except for one number, or it's just incoming or outgoing or at a certain time of the day ......)
etc, etc

My point of this post, is hopefully that before a forum user presses the POST button, he or she will realize, the more information given, the probability of a helpful reply goes up.

not related to this post, but Troubleshooting at the most basic level,
check to see if your device has power
check to see if the cables are plugged in correctly
power cycle your device

Lavarock7

Quote from: dircom on January 14, 2015, 07:25:15 AM
:)....................

But if you mentioned to the auto mechanic that a low fuel warning light was flashing, right before the car would not start, perhaps the auto mechanic, would not have to make a list of 6 things for you to think about.

Or my xxxx is not working (oh, forgot to mention we had a lightning strike last night)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you our power is out)
my xxx is not working (oh, forgot to tell you we had new carpet put in, and all the devices were disconnected)

In I.T. I got a call that the printer in Accounting stopped working. I asked if there had been any changes recently, they said no. I walked next door to find the office in a complete disarray with movers moving things. The employee then said "It's the same printer we always had, it just stopped working".

Another time I got a call. I am not getting my printouts. I went over and asked where the printer was? They told me it was taken out for service. Err, how do you expect to get printouts on a printer that is not here? "Oh, don't the printouts just appear at some other printer, somewhere?"

I finally got out of I.T.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Taoman

Quote from: Lavarock7 on January 14, 2015, 02:15:21 PM

I finally got out of I.T.

Ha! So did I, brother, so did I! (When I first typed this I accidentally typed "so die I." Freudian slip??) :D

SteveInWA

And yet, here we all are, providing unpaid "tech support"...

:-*