News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are OBi 100 & 200 Mod. Still Compatible w/ NEW Phone Power Users + Re-set or Not

Started by scoleman.69@gmail.com, January 11, 2015, 07:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Hi Folks,

Tried search, no luck so ask'n....

We presently have Phone Power VoIP service via an older OBi 110 which is working fine.

However, trying to help a friend get set up w/ a VoIP preferably using an OBi box, probably the OBi 200, and going with Phone Power but in perusing the PP site they specifically do NOT show any of the OBi 100 or 200 series units in their listing of BYOD units.

They only list the OBI1032, OBI1062 and OBI508 models.

Haven't had a chance to ask PP directly as they're not open until business hours tomorrow so thought I'd ask here to see what Ya'll knew.

Also, in regards to Google Voice now being compatible again, if I understand it correctly, if I wished to use the old 110 for GV I have I'd need to 'flash' it's firmware.  If I do will it prevent me from reverting back to using it with Phone Power via my current acct.

Can I set it up with PP as SP1 and the GV number as SP2?

TIA,

Steve

drgeoff

The OBi1xx and 2xx devices should still be fine with PP.

Upgrading 110 firmware should not prevent it working with PP.

Yes, you can have PP on SP1 and GV on SP2.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 02:28:19 AM
The OBi1xx and 2xx devices should still be fine with PP.

Upgrading 110 firmware should not prevent it working with PP.

Yes, you can have PP on SP1 and GV on SP2.

Thanks for the response.  It's what I expected, but couldn't find any confirmation and given my life experiences I don't take chances on presuming anything is as it should be.

While you're available, and interested in my queries...  At the risk of asking what is surely easily found or figured out, I'd appreciate humoring me and saving this po OF the trouble...  if one has PP on SP1 and GV on SP2 will the associated phone set ring with incoming calls to both the PP and the GV number, and if so is there any settings to allow determining which number is being routed through, say via some settings in 'OBi Expert Configuration Menu' that would create distinctive rings, or some such?

TIA,

Steve

drgeoff

Yes you can set different ring cadences for each Voice Service.

Under Voice Services, SPx Service, X_RingProfile has choice of A or B. Further down that page is X_DefaultRing where you select 1 to 10.

Under Ring Settings, each of A and B has the 10 editable Ring Patterns.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 03:57:31 AM
Yes you can set different ring cadences for each Voice Service.

Under Voice Services, SPx Service, X_RingProfile has choice of A or B. Further down that page is X_DefaultRing where you select 1 to 10.

Under Ring Settings, each of A and B has the 10 editable Ring Patterns.

Well, I'm with you all the way to those respective choices only I can't seem to remember, nor figure out how to get it to permit changes, as those particular ones remain 'ghosted out' and unclicking OBiTalk Setting box doesn't 'release' them.  What do I need to do in order to be allowed to effect the changes for those settings?

TIA,

Steve

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 05:45:56 AM
Untick both boxes.

Thanks for the continuing assistance.

Unticked both 'OBiTALK Settings' boxes for the SP1 Service [ which is set up for Phone Power ], the X_RingProfile and X_DefaultRing.   X_RingProfile box has an '*' beside it which isn't ref'd anywhere if that means anything on import.

The input fields are still ghosted and do not allow any changes.

What now?

drgeoff

You cleared both the 'Device default' and 'Obitalk settings' ticks?  Works for me.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 01:08:09 PM
You cleared both the 'Device default' and 'Obitalk settings' ticks?  Works for me.

ALL 'Device Defaults' under ALL Configuration Menu Sections are already unticked, so only thing left to untick is the 'Obitalk Settings' and it ain't working, still ghosted out.

Under 'SP1 Service' about half of the settings are ghosted out and not able to be changed, notwithstanding the 'Obitalk Settings' is unticked or not, including one or two that have the lil 'red bar' just to the right of their field.

Is there a 'global' lock on certain settings somewhere in the General settings, or some such?

drgeoff

Are you using the Expert Configuration on the Obitalk portal?

When you untick 'OBiTALK settings', the 'Device default' will change from unticked to ticked.  You then need to untick it.

I'm not aware of any 'global lock'.

Taoman

Quote from: scoleman.69@gmail.com on January 12, 2015, 01:50:50 PM

ALL 'Device Defaults' under ALL Configuration Menu Sections are already unticked, so only thing left to untick is the 'Obitalk Settings' and it ain't working, still ghosted out.

When you uncheck the Obitalk Settings box it automatically puts a check in the Device Default box.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 02:24:51 PM
Are you using the Expert Configuration on the Obitalk portal?

When you untick 'OBiTALK settings', the 'Device default' will change from unticked to ticked.  You then need to untick it.

I'm not aware of any 'global lock'.

Yes I'm in the OBi Expert Configuration Menu [ after doing a Backup Configuration File ] --> 'Enter OBi Expert' --> Listings of 'Status' thru 'User Settings' --> to in this specific case to 'Voice Service'

When I untick 'OBiTALK settings', the 'Device default' DOES NOT change from unticked to ticked in my case. It stays unticked.  And will not allow me to tick it in either case.  The fields for the X_RingProfile and X_DefaultRing remain ghosted and do not allow any changes.

FWIW, ALL of the settings in ALL of the Sections act in the same fashion, many are ghosted out, and unticking ANY of the 'OBiTALK settings' does NOT change the respective 'Device default' from unticked to ticked, regardless of whether or not they are ghosted or are the non-ghosted fields with or without set values, which it turns out ALSO DO NOT allow changes. In fact it won't even let me tick any of the 'OBiTALK settings' regardless of whether or not the 'Device default' is ticked or unticked.

Quote from: Taoman on January 12, 2015, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: scoleman.69@gmail.com on January 12, 2015, 01:50:50 PM

When you uncheck the Obitalk Settings box it automatically puts a check in the Device Default box.

See above.

Note: I '***6' dialed out for 'Software Updates' and got 'No software updates available'

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions so far, notwithstanding we've not hit on the solution yet, and your patience,

Steve

SteveInWA

I wonder if this is because you were using the "approved service provider" mode with PhonePower?  I haven't done this myself.  Do they lock down the OBi from user-modification?

Have you deleted the OBi from the OBiTALK portal page, then performed a factory reset on the device (the paper clip for 10 seconds method)?

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 04:49:59 PM
I wonder if this is because you were using the "approved service provider" mode with PhonePower?  I haven't done this myself.  Do they lock down the OBi from user-modification?

Will look into this.

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 04:49:59 PMHave you deleted the OBi from the OBiTALK portal page, then performed a factory reset on the device (the paper clip for 10 seconds method)?

No, and frankly I'm a bit leery of fowling up my set up and not being able to regain it [ with my luck ].  However I have in the past deleted the device [ OBi 110 ] via Device Configuration - Obi Phone Power and then gone to Configure Voice Service Providers (SP) and reset up PP via the 'Service Provider Setup' link...  I THINK, it's been awhile... That is what you're speaking of doing by 'Have you deleted the OBi from the OBiTALK portal page', right?

I don't recall ever having to use the paper clip factory reset on the device.  Only 'reset' I recall has been to unplug the box for short time and replug it.  Not sure even that was ever needed or was the resolution of whatever I was needing to do, but IIRC I did do the above delete and reinstall...

SteveInWA

Given all the time and posts you've spent on this, I suggest simply taking that path forward.  You won't damage anything.  You merely need to set up the two service providers again, as you wish.  If PhonePower's service provider lock is the issue, then you'll need to make your own decision as to whether or not their service meets your needs.  If PP will simply give you your SIP credentials, you can set up the service manually, and not use the managed service provider function.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 05:19:43 PM
Given all the time and posts you've spent on this, I suggest simply taking that path forward.  You won't damage anything.  You merely need to set up the two service providers again, as you wish.  If PhonePower's service provider lock is the issue, then you'll need to make your own decision as to whether or not their service meets your needs.  If PP will simply give you your SIP credentials, you can set up the service manually, and not use the managed service provider function.

Gotcha...  I'll give this some thought and proceed with whatever I decide to do.  Will likely wait for a bit as I don't have anything much to gain right now, was just going to try it if it wasn't a hassle.   Have too many other things needing attention, but when I get enough out of the way to take the time and risk being down a bit I'll take your advice and pursue it.  Unless someone comes up with the 'magic bullet' button we've overlooked that has me locked out.  In fact, PP's CS is open right now and they're usually pretty sharp about such stuff so I'll give them a call and see what they can advise.

Thanks so much for all yours and others help and patience,

Steve 'what sheeet happens to that ain't never been seen before' Coleman

SteveInWA

By the way, unless you don't mind posting your email address in public, you may want to change your forum ID.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 05:32:49 PM
By the way, unless you don't mind posting your email address in public, you may want to change your forum ID.

Thanks for bringing that up.  It hit me today that somehow I got signed in that way, certainly didn't intend to, and while in between our conversations tried to find a way to change my ID, but can not find anywhere in my User settings that allow that, so the only thing I know to do is delete the acct. and re-register with a different ID.  However that doesn't eliminate all the existing posts with it shown, which even if it will allow me to change it may not retroactively change it on  previous posts.  Seems I've had that happen before.

Do you know what I'm overlooking if anything about how to make that change, I'd sure appreciate it...

Still can't figure out how I let it get done that way to start with...  been 'fly'n the wire' since 1200 bps first came out and only 'online' access was via BBSes...

Sheeeshhh...

SteveInWA

Hmmph; I don't see an obvious "self-service" way to change your forum name.  If you click the "report to moderator" link, and ask Mark at Obihai to fix it for you, perhaps he has that administrative power.  He's traveling, so it might take a while.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 06:18:36 PM
Hmmph; I don't see an obvious "self-service" way to change your forum name.  If you click the "report to moderator" link, and ask Mark at Obihai to fix it for you, perhaps he has that administrative power.  He's traveling, so it might take a while.

Thanks, I'll give that a try...

Well, notwithstanding it shows one the link to "report to moderator" for ones own posts it won't let you, cause it says it makes no sense...  of course, just as it makes no sense to show "report to moderator" link where it's not allowed...  ';)

So, I'm going to use the "report to moderator" link for the post where you mentioned it and hope that don't cause any issues...