News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New user: can't get GV, just fast busy

Started by rufusputnam, January 22, 2015, 08:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufusputnam

Hi - Everything looks simple, should work, right? But I can't get to first base...

I've had my GV account for years, just got the OBi100. Set it up on the OBi website, it configured my OBi device, says "SP1 Google Voice Connected", and there's a green light, as I'd expect.

But picking up the handset and dialing just gives me a fast busy. Is there a dialing prefix I've missed?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but searching for "fast busy" on these forums doesn't find any complaints like mine, that I can see.

Should I be able to see evidence of the GV <-> OBi connection on my GV settings at Google?

Any pointers?

Thanks...

azrobert

Is the OBi100's phone port LED green?
Try dialing **118005551212
Change 18005551212 to a real number.

SteveInWA

Quote from: rufusputnam on January 22, 2015, 08:17:49 PM

Should I be able to see evidence of the GV <-> OBi connection on my GV settings at Google?

Nope, because GV has no idea you are using an OBi device, and aside from that, it doesn't have any real-time status indication (of you being on a call, for example).  However...

If you're getting a busy signal, it is usually because you haven't completed the procedure to set up your GV account to include the Google Chat pseudo-phone calling destination.  You must have Chat added to your account in order to make and receive calls.

You can read my instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

202Owner

Quote from: rufusputnam on January 22, 2015, 08:17:49 PM
Hi - Everything looks simple, should work, right? But I can't get to first base...

I've had my GV account for years, just got the OBi100. Set it up on the OBi website, it configured my OBi device, says "SP1 Google Voice Connected", and there's a green light, as I'd expect.

But picking up the handset and dialing just gives me a fast busy. Is there a dialing prefix I've missed?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but searching for "fast busy" on these forums doesn't find any complaints like mine, that I can see.

Any pointers?

Thanks...

If the digits dialed were not successfully mapped and routed to a service provider, the OBi DMP will return an error message/fast busy signal and there will be no Call History.  If you log into the OBi web interface Status - Call History and see no entry for the fast busy call, then your dial plan (map and route) may be incomplete.  I would investigate this.

rufusputnam

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 22, 2015, 10:02:26 PM
However...

If you're getting a busy signal, it is usually because you haven't completed the procedure to set up your GV account to include the Google Chat pseudo-phone calling destination.  You must have Chat added to your account in order to make and receive calls.

You can read my instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

SteveInWA, you nailed it. Although the GV and GM interfaces on my machine were a bit different than those referenced in your instructions (probably evolving over time), I mucked around a bit and eventually found out that at some point Hangouts had been enabled on my account.

I still couldn't get the Obi to work until I vaguely remembered that I had an old cell phone sitting in a shop 150 miles away that had the Hangouts Dialer installed to act as a $10 VoIP phone. GV wouldn't let me set things up correctly until that phone logged off, so I remotely connected to the wifi router at that location, disabled the LAN interface, and voila! the changes to GV percolated through, Google Chat became visible on my forwarded phones list, and the OBi worked as expected.

Definitely not a process to be found in the Quick Installation Guide ;)

Thanks again.