New OBi200 worked fine with temp GV number but fails w new GV number account

Started by boodah, January 23, 2015, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boodah

I've gone around and 'round here and I think it's time for some help.  I setup my Obi200 last month with one of my many GV accounts just to test it out.  Work perfectly as advertised.  I was sold and then started my porting process of my real HOME Number from Vonage onto ATT GoPhone to Google Voice.  Port to ATT took 5 days, no problems, I used the phone for several days then requested via GV to perform my port.  That took 48hr and all appeared well... until I removed my initial SP1 acct and setup my ported gmail account.  

1) I get a dial tone when lifting receiving
2) When dialing any number so far, you hear the first ring then immediately it goes into a fast beep (busy tone)
3) Now here's the wierd part... if I assign another GV account it works.  Only my newly ported number (in a newly created gmail account) will not work.

I have performed a factory reset with paperclip... it just seems to be the newly ported number that will not work.
*When calling my newly ported number from another phone... it goes to VM and the Obi200/Phone does not ring.

Any ideas... I was hoping it was just the porting process not being 100 percent complete, but it's been 3 days since receiving my port confirmation.  

SteveInWA

Hi:

The busy signal indicates that you didn't add the Google Chat/Talk pseudo-phone destination to your list of forwarding phones.  You probably have that on your previous GV accounts.  Since Chat is obsolete, it's no longer added by default to new GV accounts.

• Log onto the new account and go to your Gmail web page, not GV.
  • Click your chat avatar on the left side of the web page.  It's either a generic head and shoulders icon, or an image you may have uploaded to represent yourself.
  • If you have installed the Google voice and video chat web browser plugin, and you have enabled your web browser to use the plugin, you'll get a 10-key keypad.  Make one outbound telephone call to any phone number. It doesn't have to be answered, just attempted.
  • If you don't see the keypad, then you have either not enabled the plugin, or you have converted to using Hangouts instead of the old Chat.  If the latter case, then click the link that says "Revert to old Chat".  You can convert back to using Hangouts after this one-time procedure is completed.
  • Making that one outbound call will (re)add the Chat destination to your GV account.  If you want to receive inbound calls on your OBi, add a check mark next to the Chat destination.  If you want to forward inbound calls to some other forwarding number, like a SIP VoIP DID configured on your OBi, then add that other number to your OBi and to your list of forwarding phones on your GV settings page, and remove the check mark next to Chat.

boodah

Evening SteveinWA,

I want to thank you for your reply.  I followed your steps and did notice that it was configured for Voice in Hangouts.  I did install the plugin last night but I believe it did make the test call in a hangout window.  At any rate, you were absolutely correct.  I picked up the receiver and dialed a number through the OBitalk... perfect. 

I'll pass this along whenever I have the opportunity to spread the good word about the OBitalk as well as this forum.

Good evening,
-b

SteveInWA

Great.

To clarify:  Hangouts operates independently of the old Chat system.  So, making a call using Hangouts doesn't install the Chat forwarding phone in GV.  After making that one phone call using Chat, you can convert over to Hangouts to use with all the other, non-OBi methods of calling, and your OBi will continue to co-exist.