News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Success finally!

Started by Keizer, February 01, 2015, 09:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keizer

Greetings everyone! 

I'm a new Obi200 user.  I previously tried MagicJack with horrible results.  Dropped calls, echo, delays, etc.  I then moved to the more expensive Ooma which was better but I still had delays when I'd talk to people.  I tweaked all kinds of things in the Ooma settings, as well as my router with no change.  I was about to give up on VOIP in general when I read an interesting thread in the Ooma forums.  It was started by a guy that was having the same problems with his Ooma and had switched to an Obie device.  He said all his issues that he had with the Ooma were gone after trying the Obi.  Of course he got slammed in that thread, but I ended up doing the same thing he did......switched to my Obi200. 

Long story short.....it was just like night and day.  I'm using my Obi with my Google voice account and it's exactly like using a regular land line from the phone company.  I couldn't be happier. 

I was told in the Ooma forums that 99.9% of the issues with Ooma are on the users end and their internet connection.  I knew that was wrong because I have fiber optics right to my house with a 50mbps/Down and 10mbps/Up. 

I'm not sure what the difference is between Magic Jack, Ooma and my new Obie......but I'm sure glad I switched. 

sailing

I use both Ooma and Obi. Originally I had DSL with 2M down and 1.2M up. Ooma had some problems when first installed but Ooma support tweaked some settings and the problem was solved. I added Qos since too many people surfing would affect the Ooma. I'm not promoting Ooma but just making the point that the problem probably was something on your end. It just is frustrating when you cannot figure out what. Fortunately for you, switching to Obi worked. Probably the default settings in the Obi were better suited to your line.

Keizer

Quote from: sailing on February 03, 2015, 04:28:21 AM
I use both Ooma and Obi. Originally I had DSL with 2M down and 1.2M up. Ooma had some problems when first installed but Ooma support tweaked some settings and the problem was solved. I added Qos since too many people surfing would affect the Ooma. I'm not promoting Ooma but just making the point that the problem probably was something on your end. It just is frustrating when you cannot figure out what. Fortunately for you, switching to Obi worked. Probably the default settings in the Obi were better suited to your line.

I called the Ooma support line as well and they tweaked some stuff on their end too.  I also participated in their support forum where I got help with router settings.......nothing worked.  The Obi was basically plug and play right out of the box.