News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Transferring GV number to another gmail account.

Started by Mister_M, January 27, 2015, 05:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister_M

Okay.  So, I guess I screwed up because I wasn't paying attention.  I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything.  I searched the web and got contradicting information.

My wife has two Google accounts.  One for her school, that is administered by her school, and her personal account.  When I setup GV, I guess her school account was default and I set it up on that account instead of her personal account.  I have already gone through the authentication process with her cell phone number.  I didn't notice until I went into the settings and it listed her school email instead of her personal email.

So, I managed to move the GV number to her personal account, but it won't let me add her cell phone number as the forwarding number, I presume since I already used it.  The GV number is there, but Google says they can reissue this number if there is no forwarding phone number listed.  Who do I contact to get the forwarding number setup or am I just done?  There is zero information I can find about who to contact at Google to help with this.

SteveInWA

I guess it never occurred to you to try the Google Voice help forum?

Add some other phone as the forwarding phone number.  It can be any US-based land line or mobile number, on which you can answer a verification phone call.

After you do that, your account should then be able to add the cell phone number.  There is a limit as to the number of times a forwarding phone can be "reclaimed" (moved from one GV account to another).  If you haven't hit the limit, then you will receive a message stating that the forwarding phone is in use on a different GV account, and do you want to reclaim it?  Say yes, and it'll move over.  You can't do this for the first forwarding phone used to create an account, but you can add/delete/move subsequent/additional forwarding numbers around between accounts.

Mister_M

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 27, 2015, 06:22:52 PM
I guess it never occurred to you to try the Google Voice help forum?

Add some other phone as the forwarding phone number.  It can be any US-based land line or mobile number, on which you can answer a verification phone call.

After you do that, your account should then be able to add the cell phone number.  There is a limit as to the number of times a forwarding phone can be "reclaimed" (moved from one GV account to another).  If you haven't hit the limit, then you will receive a message stating that the forwarding phone is in use on a different GV account, and do you want to reclaim it?  Say yes, and it'll move over.  You can't do this for the first forwarding phone used to create an account, but you can add/delete/move subsequent/additional forwarding numbers around between accounts.

My apologies.  You are correct.  It never occurred to me to try the Google Voice forum.  Thank you for the information.

Mister_M

Figured I would update this in case somebody else may run into this problem.  I went to the Google Voice forums as suggested and was in the process of filling out their form.  In order to provide the best information, I started going through the process again.  It allowed me to add and verify the mobile number, so I guess you have to wait a few hours before attempting it after a transfer.