News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

google voice merge incoming calls?

Started by dbaxter, February 02, 2015, 12:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaxter

Hi,

I'm using google voice in port 2 of my obi202 and it works great.

How can I use google voice's merge incoming calls feature? https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115137?hl=en

When I get an incoming call now, I get a call waiting beep. If I hit dtmf 5 (the google voice touchtone for merging an incoming call) on the phone attached to the obi202 nothing happens.

Thanks.

drgeoff

First thing is to check that "Inband" is set as the DTMF transfer mode.

dbaxter

Just poked around the settings areas a little bit and did not see where I can set this option.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

I assume you meant to ask about conference calling (3-way calling) for inbound.  It's not supported via Google Chat, which is what the OBi is using.  It can only do call-waiting, via a hook-flash, which will swap between the two calls.  You can, however, make a 3-way conference call if you start with an outbound call via your OBi-attached phone, then hit flash, dial the other party, answer, and hit flash again.

dbaxter

I'm asking about the 5-way inbound conference calling feature discussed here - https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115137?hl=en.

Thanks for confirming that it's not available via obi.

Thanks also for pointing out the dtmf setting as I can rarely interact with touch tone drive menus.

Where can I adjust the inband setting?

SteveInWA

The DTMF setting on the OBi is a red herring as far as Google Voice/Chat is concerned.  It should be left at "Auto".

For SIP carriers, the problem is that there's no universally-agreed standard.  The usual approach is to start with InBand, as it transmits the DTMF (touch tones) as audio in the call, just like an old-fashioned telephone, which is the most likely method to work, but it needs the G.711 CODEC to do so with sufficient audio fidelity.  If InBand doesn't work then try the other methods.