News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obixxx with PBX software when PBX software is turned off?

Started by N1KMP, February 02, 2015, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N1KMP

Let's say we have a Obi110 integrated with Asterisk.  What happens to Obi110 (and its operation) if the device that Asterisk is running on is turned off? 

Clearly the Asterisk functions will not operate but how does the Obi110 operate? 

drgeoff

That depends how the Obi110 is configured. If it is configured to only interface with the PBX, then if the PBX is not operating what do you expect the OBi110 to do?

Perhaps your real question is:  Can I configure the OBi110 to do such and such if the PBX is not operating?

N1KMP

I was trying to keep it simple but maybe that won't work.  Maybe what I'm asking is what mode will the OBI110 operate as when the PBX software on another box is not functioning (turned off)?  Is that something that can be configured in Obixxx

This is a home application and as such is relatively simple.  My initial driver that led me to PBX's, Obixxx's and the like was to manage "Diane at Card Services" of which I get up to 5 calls per day not including the calls I get that are probes or no-connects.

In a simple setup, Obixxx would manage that via AA.  But as I look into this I find myself "awash in a sea of opportunity".  So I was thinking of using something likes Asterick's AA/IVR functionality to enhance the home's AA/IVR.  But then the question arose as to what happens if the PBX software device crashes/freezes or is turned off. 

So ... without defineing a more specific application, does that help define the high level question?

drgeoff

The simple answer is that if the PBX is in the route between your phone and your POTS and/or ITSP,  non-operation of the PBX means you have no calls in or out on that phone.

Depending on how you linked the OBi and Asterisk it may be possible to configure manual or automatic fallbacks in one or both directions.

To be frank, I would expect someone who has configured Asterisk and combined an OBi110 with it to have sufficient technical ability to find and implement their own solution.

azrobert

I don't know how you are routing calls to Asterisk, but I do it using a URI like the following.

SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
ph,100@192.16.1.100:5060

Just add the AA like this:
ph,100@192.16.1.100:5060,aa

By default the AA will answer in 4 seconds.
If Asterisk answers before 4 seconds you're good.
You can adjust the AA delay using parm AnswerDelay.
When Asterisk is down the AA will answer.

I did not test this setup.

N1KMP

I was initially thinking the Obi110 would pass the call off to the software PBX which would process the call and then route as needed possibly back through the Obixxx.   I don't see any conditional logic in the Obixxx that could be used to change behavior if the soft PBX goes down.  In that case, if the computer with the PBX software was turned off it looks like things would not work well.

Azerobert's suggestion looks to run the two in parallel which seems workable for the most part.  Kinda like running two thermostats in parallel.

If I understand it right, it will cause me to implement a soft PBX on a device that can be left running.  Maybe implement it on a router (or similar) or a small dedicated PC (overkill for my needs).

azrobert

I'm using a Raspberry Pi running Raspbx.
Here's a kit for $65:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5YB20K8370&cm_re=raspberry_pi-_-9SIA5YB20K8370-_-Product

Newegg has a cheaper kit, but you need a 2 amp PSU if you want to use a WiFi dongle.

The Raspberry Pi will be much cheaper to run (electricity) than a small PC.

drgeoff

As of yesterday (2  Feb) Raspberry Pi 2 B is available. Looks almost the same as B+ but 1Gbyte RAM and 900MHz quad core ARM7 CPU. Same price.

N1KMP

Raspberry Pi is where I think I'm heading.  I have one sitting idle so it is an easy thing to try. 

The original question was started when I pondered setting a PBX up on this PC which is on most, but not always. Setting up on the PC would be an easy way to play and get started.  But as I asked earlier, what happens when the PC is off?

That said, the local 2nd hand shop periodically has used routers.  They often run $5 and if you are there on the right day they are on sale for half price.  I picked up a couple Lynksys that are now running DD-WRT and I have them set up as wireless bridges for when I need a internet connection without being able to wire to the network.

lrosenman

I'm using a RaspberryPi B+ for IncrediblePBX.  Works great, and the RPI is dedicated to Asterisk.

The RPI does CNAME lookup and can run my IP Phones if I set them up.