News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

fax over IP using OBi202?

Started by meokey, March 11, 2015, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meokey

I have an OBi202 in my basement and a wireless-enabled MFP in my den. My problem is that there is no telephone cable running from basement to my den.

Is it possible to receive fax on OBi202 and print to my MFP (using ipp or other printer protocol), and send fax from my computer via OBi202 (my service provider supports T.38)?

Thanks.

azrobert

Where is your computer located?
I assume it's located in the den with your MFP.
If you don't have a telephone jack in your den, I assume you're not wired for internet access either, so your computer is connected wirelessly.

The only way I know how to do this is to use a 2nd OBi.
You can use an OBi200 with a wireless dongle or an OBi100 connected to the ethernet port on your computer.
Windows has a feature called Internet Connection sharing (ICS), so the OBi100 will connect to the internet using the WiFi connection on the computer.

If allowed, register the 2nd OBi directly to your provider.
If not, route the call thru the OBi202.

Disclaimer:
I never routed a fax thru a 2nd OBi so I can't guarantee it will work, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I would route the call directly to the OBi202 using your LAN and not the OBiTalk network.

meokey

Thank you azrobert for your help.

Yes you are right. I don't have any network or telephone cable in the den so my computer is connected using WiFi.

I'm not sure whether I'm getting your idea correctly. It seems to me that it will mange the outgoing fax via 2nd OBi being routed thru the OBi202, but will my OBi202 route the incoming fax call to the 2nd OBi device?

but either way, it seems a very complex solution to me. ... Maybe I should request for new feature?  :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: meokey on March 11, 2015, 03:10:02 PM
I have an OBi202 in my basement and a wireless-enabled MFP in my den. My problem is that there is no telephone cable running from basement to my den.

Is it possible to receive fax on OBi202 and print to my MFP (using ipp or other printer protocol), and send fax from my computer via OBi202 (my service provider supports T.38)?

Thanks.

The MFP is simply a traditional fax machine that sends and receives faxes over an analog telephone line.  If it's a recent HP brand OfficeJet MFP, you can use HP's hpconnected.com to turn your printer into a wireless web-connected printer.  Otherwise, you need a regular telephone cord plugged into the MFP, to make and receive fax telephone calls.

The OBi devices are not fax machines.  They don't receive and store faxes.  That would be a function of a telephone service provider.  For example, you could get an inbound telephone number from Callcentric, and route that number's calls to a Callcentric fax mailbox.  This system will either store the fax for your to view and print from a computer, or it will email you the fax as an image file, which you can then send to the printer over its WiFi connection, if you've set up the printer on your network.  None of this involves using an OBi.