News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting MWI to illuminate on SPA942 connected to OBI202

Started by wildbilll, February 05, 2015, 12:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbilll

I set up an IP phone (SPA942) as an extension to the OBI202 per the instructions on the OBIHAI website. It works. I used the SP4 service and ITSP D to connect to the phone and can call and receive on the IP phone using the SP1 service on the OBI.
I am trying to get the VoiceMail indicator to work onthe SPA942, as of now it only works on the analog phone connected to the phone ports on the OBI202.
Any way the Voicemail indicator on the SPA942 can be made to work in this configuration?

Tango

Quote from: wildbilll on February 05, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
I set up an IP phone (SPA942) as an extension to the OBI202 per the instructions on the OBIHAI website. It works. I used the SP4 service and ITSP D to connect to the phone and can call and receive on the IP phone using the SP1 service on the OBI.

May I ask why and how you used SP4 service and ITSP D for SP1 service, and it works? Was it a typo, or something more to it you have not described?

I am trying to get the VoiceMail indicator to work onthe SPA942, as of now it only works on the analog phone connected to the phone ports on the OBI202.
Any way the Voicemail indicator on the SPA942 can be made to work in this configuration?

if the IP phone has the Message Waiting Indicator (MWI), then you need to check those boxes to enable MWI feature of the phone:

Under SPX (X:1 or 4?) service, under Calling Features, set
MWIEnable = Enabled ; and
X_VMWIEnable = Enabled

Of course, your Service Provider should provide for Voice Mail service, but this is rather a standard feature for IP phone services.

Clear as mud :)?

wildbilll

The following document spells out how to use an IP phone as an extension to the OBi device.
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf
All work I performed was in accordance with the flat network example.
The SP4 service is connected to the ip phone and SP4 routes the calls from the SP1 service to the SP4 service.

Tango

Quote from: wildbilll on February 10, 2015, 02:23:55 PM
The following document spells out how to use an IP phone as an extension to the OBi device.
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf
The SP4 service is connected to the ip phone and SP4 routes the calls from the SP1 service to the SP4 service.

Thanks, it makes sense for me now :)

As you wrote "I am trying to get the VoiceMail indicator to work onthe SPA942, as of now it only works on the analog phone connected to the phone ports on the OBI202", the MWI is working with either phone ports, SP1 or SP2.

I'd be curious to verify SP1 or SP2 Voice Service, under Calling Features, see if those settings on MWIEnable, X_VMWIEnable are activated (checked)?

I am still very new and learning, but it seems to make sense verifying these settings under SP4 Calling Features if they are activated?

azrobert

I think this is how MWI works:

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Portx -> MWIEnable

When this is enabled the Phone Portx will generate the stutter tone when a MWI signal is present.

Voice Services -SPx Service: MWIEnable and MWIEnable2

If these are enabled the SPx trunk will send the MWI signal to the corresponding phone port when a new message arrives.

VMWI works the same way.
For an explanation place the cursor over the question mark to the right of each parm.

Since the SPx trunk can only be configured to send the MWI signal to a phone port, I don't see any way to get the MWI to work on an IP phone registered to a SP trunk.

Tango

Quote from: wildbilll on February 10, 2015, 02:23:55 PM

I re-read the provided link for the document, and still wonder why you need to use an OBi202 at all? I.e. do you need to bridge your IP phone to an OBi Voice Service, as opposed to a direct plugin to your router Ethernet port?

FWIW, this Linksys SPA942 setup suggests a Message Waiting button in the Call Feature to check/uncheck on the 2nd page:
https://www.inphonex.com/support/linksys-spa942-configuration.php

Can it be that simple missing "link"?

I hope there are no "stupid" questions :)!