News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV - can I call from Obi to my cell phone?

Started by samsks, May 28, 2011, 08:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samsks

I am new to VOIP and have searched the forums but didn't find this.  I am loving my Obi, but one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to call from my Obi (which is using my GV account) to my cell phone (which is my GV number), and vice versa. 

I have a Sprint Cell phone, and I integrated it with Google Voice so that my Sprint Cell phone number is now my Google Voice number.  I kept my original Sprint number instead of my original GV number.  This is working great. 

With the goal of getting rid of my landline at home, I purchased an Obi and configured it to use my Google Voice account.  So now when someone dials my Cell phone number (which is my Google Voice Number), my Cell Phone rings, and so do my home phones that are plugged into my Obi.  Works great.  The only problem I have is that I would like to be able to call from my cell phone to my home (which is my Obi), and vice versa.  I can't seem to figure out how to do this, am I missing something obvious, or is this not possible?  Thanks for the help. 

jimates

So now your google voice, cell phone, and your home phone are all the same number. So now you have 3 calling points all with the same number. Makes calling one from the other difficult.

The only way to do it now is to block the caller id so that google doesn't see it's own number and send the call directly to the google attendant. Of course none of your calls will carry caller id to the endpoints.

Google voice numbers are free so you could set up a 2nd one to use for calling between your own phones. Or, you can get a free sipgate number set up on sp2. This would give you a number for free incoming calls to your home.

samsks

Thank you for the info.  I started to setup another GV account, but then I stumbled on voip.ms and decided to go with them.  For "nearly free" (compared to what I was paying for my home phone line), I can keep my existing home phone number and port it to them.  I'm still going to keep GV on my obi as well, because I actually like being able to answer my cell phone from my home phone.