News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 setup issue

Started by tjut, February 14, 2015, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjut

So, I've gone through the tutorial on Obi site.  I've started my Google voice account and received a phone number.  I've dialed the **x xxxx and it appears that my Google voice is paired to Obi.  However, when I call my Google voice number from my cell phone, it just rings and rings.  I get a dial tone on my home phone (Obi line), but when I place a call outbound, it rings once and then gives me a busy signal.  Also, I only have two lights illuminated on my Obi device- the power (red) and "O" (green).  The third light remains unlit.

On the Google voice site, I can see the history of my incoming calls (attempts) from my cell phone, but the Obi phone never rings.

I feel like I'm close to having this setup completed, but not quite sure what the problem is.

Thanks.

drgeoff

What tutorial have you gone through?  Follow the instructions by SteveInWA on these forums. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Dialling **5 xxxx is only for adding the Obi to your Obitalk account.  It has nothing to do with GV.

tjut

Thanks Drgeoff.  I ran through the procedure outlined in the link you provided, including deleting my device and hard resetting my Obi200.  Unfortunately, things are still as they were before.

On my Obi account page, under "Device configuration- home phone" ("home phone" is what I named the device), all my pertinent Obi information has self populated during the connection establishment (Obi no., MAC address and Serial number).

Below that, under "Configure Voice Service Providers," SP1 shows Google Voice with a status of "Connected."

When I click on my Obi Dashboard, the "Home Phone" row shows my Obi number, Speed Dial "2" and a green light under Status. The next row shows SP1, Google Voice and says "Connected" under status.  

This isn't turning out to be quite as "Plug n' Play" as I'd hoped, lol...  

My handset HAS a dial tone, but when I place a call with the handset, I get one ring and then a busy signal.
Also, FWIW, I've tried a different phone handset with no changes. 

Lastly, only TWO of the lights on my Obi200 are illuminated- Power (red) and "O" (green).  I have yet to see the "phone" light illuminate.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Your OBi is now properly set up with Google Voice.  However, you failed to carefully read my instructions, as drgeoff linked, and you didn't make one outbound phone call from Gmail using Google Chat.

This is precisely the problem that was asked and answered yesterday, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9454.0

SteveInWA

And, let me emphasize:  your OBi is set up to use Google Voice.  Don't mess with it further.  Just follow the instructions.

tjut

Slowly but surely, I seem to be making progress.

I HAD actually placed an outbound call earlier, but neglected to mention that in my previous post.  I was having problems locating the "revert to old chat", which I finally just was able to do this morning.  Now, my GV Settings screen shows Google chat under my GV number info (for the first time).  Prior to this showing up, I was still having the same problem- dial tone, but outgoing calls would ring once and then revert to busy signal.  Since checking the Google chat box, I can now both send and receive calls on my phone handset.

So, everything appears to work now, EXCEPT that I still have a solid red Power LED and no "phone" LED on my device.  When I go to the self-troubleshooting tutorials, a SOLID RED Power LED tells you to use a paperclip and factory reset the Obi device.  It says that after ten seconds of holding the switch down inside (with power ON), that the Power LED should stop being red and start to flash green.  My unit will not do this. The tutorial also says that if the LED stays solid red, to initiate a help ticket, which I have now done.  Performing the factory reset DOES disconnect the unit on my Obitalk dashboard, but the unit seems to reconnect fine when I delete the device and re-add it.

So, my unit now seems to work sans the LED indicators indicating properly.