News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 Google Contacts USB Import Procedure and Firmware Upgrade Difficulties

Started by Charlemagne, February 20, 2015, 07:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlemagne

I have a new Obi1032 with the current February 2015 firmware.

1.  I am attempting to import my Google Contacts via USB, as I don't have a OBiBT.  I followed the recommend Contacts/More/Import procedure with a USB drive installed, but an error message "Importing Contacts - No connected Bluetooth devices!" appears.  My USB drive does not appear anywhere.  Rebooting the phone with the drive in the one of the two USB ports has no affect.

What am I doing wrong?

2.  The softkey which is supposed to be labeled "More' (and was, prior to the current firmware update) is now unlabeled in in the February 2015 firmware update, but causes the the Fields, Groups, Group Filter, etc. options to be displayed.

3.  Which is the correct or better format when creating a Google Contacts export file?  The options are:  Google CSV format (for importing into a Google account); Outlook CSV format (for importing into Outlook or another application).  The answer may appear obvious, but I'd rather get it right the first time - assuming I can get that far.  Also, it's not indicated in the User Guide how to delete a contacts file if it doesn't install correctly or should later become corrupted.

4.  It is surprising, given that since 9/11/14 Google Voice has been officially supported by OBi devices, Google Contacts wouldn't be automatically integrated into the OBi1032 at least by the February 2015 firmware update, when Google Voice is a registered/connected service provider.

5.  Firmware upgrading via the OBi Dashboard and the OBi1032's Settings/FW Update softkey failed numerous times.  I was finally able to successfully upgrade via the Phone Native Web Portal (NWP) GUI System Management/Device Update/Firmware Update option.

Thanks very much for any who can help or offer insight.

N7AS

I am trying to do the same on my OBi1032. All I know is you have to export the contacts file from gmail with an Outlook format. You will have a file named contacts.csv. You then rename it to pb.csx. I copied the pb.csv to the /usr  folder in the OBi1032 but thats as far as I got. BTW WelshPaul told me that the USB stick should be formatted NTFS.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

If you have the current 1032 firmware installed (build 2318), then you don't need to use a USB memory stick to transfer Google Contacts.  Using the same OAUTH 2.0 secure authentication technology, you can simply allow your OBi device to download your Google contacts directly from your Google account.

Open your 1032's device page on the OBiTALK web portal. Expand it, so you see the device configuration page.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the button in the lower right corner to import your Google contacts.  Be sure you are also signed into the desired Google account on another tab in the same web browser, agree when the permission window pops up, and watch it instantly download your contacts!

Charlemagne

Thank you both for your replies.

SteveInWA -  Your recommendation worked just as you said, and all of my Google Contacts are now in the OBi1032's Contacts, which is exactly where I wanted them - but on inbound calls how do get the phone to display the contact names associated with related phone numbers from the imported Google Contacts file?  So far, only caller numbers appear (just as they did before the Google Contacts file was imported and no other contact info had been added to the phone.  It seems like the phone is not reading the imported file when a call comes in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlemagne

For the benefit of others, I'm passing along this disappointing answer from the Obhai Support Team on the question of why caller names contained in Google Contacts entries do not display on inbound calls after the file is imported into the OBi1032 phone.  As this basic capability has existed on conventional cell phones for many years, this limitation is surprising, at least to me.

There was no answer on the question as to whether this restriction will be corrected in future firmware updates.

"The incoming calls on GV does not have callerID names, only callerID
numbers.   And the OBi1032 does not have the ability to match up the
incoming number with the Phone directory.

The phone directory is only useful for selecting the contact for making outgoing calls."