News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting Busy tone on phone pickup

Started by Visdomr, February 16, 2015, 08:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visdomr

I have tried everything I can think of, but I just cannot get my new obi200 working on a house phone setup. I have my google voice account attached and it says connected, but as soon as I try to dial a number it rings once then goes to a busy tone. I have factory reset numerous times, done hours of googling and testing but I cannot get this thing working. I want my house phone to use my google voice number for incoming and outgoing calls. Anyone have any suggestions or advice? First time obi buyer and I want to say its my own fault and im missing something here, but this is getting annoying.

SteveInWA

The busy signal you described occurs when you haven't followed the setup instructions, and made at least one outbound call from Gmail, using Google Chat.

Detailed instructions:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

SteveInWA

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Visdomr33.

View the reply at:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9473.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=9473.0

The text of the reply is shown below:

I had to make a new account on the forums because apparently it wont let me
just log into my old account -_-. I am trying to do as you said in the
other thread but I do not get a "revert to old chat/style" option when I
click on my profile picture. I have made multiple calls via this gvoice
number via hangouts and android, but I see it HAS to be google chat/talk. I
have no way of getting there as the past hour I have been searching for a
way to revert back to chat as you directed. Is there another way? what is
the reasoning behind this step? I'm starting to get frustrated. especially
when I'm told I "didnt follow the instructions" yet nothing in the set-up
paper provided with the device said I had to make a gvoice call via chat.
not to mention the forums instructions provide an obsolete answer
apparently...

If you read through my instructions, you'll see how to make an outbound call using Google Chat.  You need to do it on a laptop or desktop computer, not on an android phone.  I can't comment on the lack of information provided by Obihai, other than to say:  that's why I wrote the detailed instructions in my linked post.

Background, to answer your "what is the reasoning behind this step" question:  Google Voice was never designed with Obihai products in mind.  Obihai is an independent company, which didn't exist when GV was introduced.  Instead, Obihai designed their products to emulate a Google Chat client, with the knowledge that Google Voice was capable of using Google Chat as a forwarding destination.

When the original product (the OBi 110) was introduced, Google Chat was the current service used to provide VoIP communications for Google Voice, which, by itself, wasn't, and still isn't a VoIP service itself.  As such, new GV accounts automatically had a Chat forwarding "phone" destination added to the list when the account was created.

With the migration away from Chat, to Google Hangouts, Google no longer adds Chat to new GV accounts by default.  Chat is no longer used by GV itself, except that it has been left available for OBi users.  Therefore, OBi device users must take specific action to add it themselves, by making an outbound call using the old Chat system.

In the future, my educated guess is that Google and Obihai will figure out some other, easier method to do this, but for now, this is the current (not obsolete) instruction.