News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID

Started by dvijen, January 31, 2011, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curt00

The demo at http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi200/i has the same format that I have on my OBi202, not the format in your screenshot.

I have tried making calls from my Bell Canada POTS line, cell phone and Google Voice to my SIP number assigned to SP2 (PH1).  CallerID is not displayed on my Nortel analog phone.

I went to Physical Interfaces/Phone1 Port/Port Settings and CallerIDMethod is FSK(Bell202)  (greyed out) and CallerIDTrigger is After First Ring (greyed out).

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions.

SteveInWA

Here's a screenshot from my OBi 202, in the USA, and a screenshot of the call history.

The one difference is that my call history has a "1" digit before the area code in every case.  That could be messing up your phone's ability to read the CID data.  Your next step is to try a different/better SIP ITSP, like Canadian company voip.ms, and a different analog telephone.

curt00

My Physical Interfaces/PHONE1 Port settings look the same as your screenshot, except that my ChannelTxGain has a value of -2.  Does this make a difference?

You are correct.  My Call History looks like your screenshot, except that you have the "1" digit before the area code.  It seems strange that a missing "1" digit would mess up the CID.  You would think that the system should simply display whatever numbers there are, that are inside the round brackets.

It would seem like a lot of work to figure out how voip.ms works and to port my 3 numbers over from freephoneline.ca.  I took a quick look at voip.ms' website and it is not intuitive.  Have you heard much about voip.ms and freephoneline.ca?  Is voip.ms much better than freephoneline.ca

SteveInWA

Channel transmit gain is the amplification level of the signal that is sent from the OBi to your telephone's earpiece (in other words, it makes the other party's voice louder in your ear).  Since the phone is still on-hook during the ring period, it isn't applicable to your situation.  I just have mine cranked up a bit because I have a mild hearing loss.

I'm not suggesting that you take drastic action and port your numbers over at this time.  I'm suggesting that you obtain a new number from voip.ms and see if their service works for you.  If you care about CID, then it's up to you to decide if spending a few bucks to troubleshoot it is worthwhile to you.  You can always cancel it if it doesn't work out.

In my opinion, and that of many others on this forum, voip.ms is one of the highest-quality ITSPs, and the fact that they're a Canadian company suggests that they are experienced with making everything work correctly for Canadian customers.  I've never read a report of CID not working with voip.ms.

My motto:  nothing's "free" -- you don't get what you don't pay for...in this case "freephoneline"

curt00

SteveInWA:

I'm not against paying a little, but it's the time.  I looked at voip.ms and it looks like it will be another project for me to take on.  I don't work in the phone industry and it has taken already many hours to figure out the acronyms, read setup guides and to get things to work with Freephoneline.  I fear that it will take many more hours to get things to work with another VoIP provider.

I have a few analog phone numbers that I use occasionally.  I found out about Freephoneline as a way to save money.  I didn't think that I would need to do so much to get things to work.  I do not want to risk taking on another project by taking on another phone company.  I will probably live without the Caller ID.

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Mango

1) Does caller ID number arrive on your phone for Google Voice calls?

2) Have you tried a different brand of phone yet?

curt00

Quote from: Mango on January 23, 2015, 06:51:30 AM
1) Does caller ID number arrive on your phone for Google Voice calls?

2) Have you tried a different brand of phone yet?

Thanks for your suggestions.

No, Caller ID does not arrive on my phone when I phoned from a POTS line to my Google Voice number.  However, the Caller ID appears on Google Hangouts on my computer.

No, I have not tried a different brand of phone yet.  I do not have another phone and I'm reluctant to buy an analog phone in order to just make this test.  Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that has a analog phone with Caller ID that I can borrow, but I will keep an eye out for one.  My Nortel Venture analog phone was a high-end phone for its time and probably is still high-end compared to most analog phones.

One thing I noticed is this:

When I receive a call and while the phone is still ringing, I refresh the Call History on my OBihai 202's local web page.  However, the new incoming call is not displayed.  Only after the ringing stops and then I refresh the Call History page, does the new call appear.  Does this make a difference?

Mango

Thank you for responding.  Given that caller ID also does not work with your SP configured for Google Voice, and the caller ID does appear in call history, I am sorry to disagree with Steve that the problem is Freephoneline.  If the caller ID appears in call history, then Freephoneline is working properly.  My suspicion is an incompatibility between the OBi and your phone.

In the interests of completeness, try the following suggestions in order, and test between each one to see if any solves the problem.
1) Does your Venture phone have multiple lines?  Try using line 2 or 3.
2) Try a different phone cable if you have one.  If you're using your household wiring, try to connect one phone directly to your OBi to eliminate your wiring as a cause of the problem.
3) Try to increase RingVoltage to 80 for the PHONE Port that is having the problem, save your settings, and reboot.

It seems that you are not the only one reporting incompatibilities between Venture phones and VoIP ATAs:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7070
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20160569-CDV-Incompatibility-with-Nortel-Venture-phones-related-to-EMTA
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28053711-VoIP-Trying-to-resolve-TWCBC-Arris-ATA-and-Venture-Analog-Phon
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r6876948-ATA-and-Venture-phones
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic840.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r9970869-

curt00

Quote from: Mango on January 23, 2015, 08:21:37 AM
Thank you for responding.  Given that caller ID also does not work with your SP configured for Google Voice, and the caller ID does appear in call history, I am sorry to disagree with Steve that the problem is Freephoneline.  If the caller ID appears in call history, then Freephoneline is working properly.  My suspicion is an incompatibility between the OBi and your phone.

You are right.  It seems that there is incompatibility.

Quote from: Mango on January 23, 2015, 08:21:37 AM
In the interests of completeness, try the following suggestions in order, and test between each one to see if any solves the problem.
1) Does your Venture phone have multiple lines?  Try using line 2 or 3.
2) Try a different phone cable if you have one.  If you're using your household wiring, try to connect one phone directly to your OBi to eliminate your wiring as a cause of the problem.
3) Try to increase RingVoltage to 80 for the PHONE Port that is having the problem, save your settings, and reboot.

I tried a different phone cable and it did not fix the problem.

I increased RingVoltage to 80, saved settings and rebooted.  It did not fix the problem.

Caller ID works on line 2 or 3.  Thanks for your help!

I have the following configuration in obitalk.com:

SP1:  Google Voice
SP2:  Freephoneline.ca SIP

Phone 1
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:    SP2
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:    SP1,SP2   
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    SP2   
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP2

Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:      Not Configured
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:
Voicemail Notification Alert from:   
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP2

My Venture phone has 3 lines.  I had the following connected:

Line 1:  SP2/"Phone 1"
Line 2:  Nothing, but something very strange happens here.  I get a dial tone and SP1/Google Voice will work here.
Line 3:  POTS

I changed them to the following:

Line 1:  POTS
Line 2:  SP2/"Phone 1"
Line 3:  Nothing, but I get a dial tone and SP1/Google Voice will work here.

Now, when I call Line 2, Caller ID appears.

I changed them to the following:

Line 1:  POTS
Line 2:  Nothing
Line 3:  SP2/"Phone 1"

When I call Line 3, Caller ID appears.

Google Voice strangely works on a line after (to the right of) the line connected to SP2.  This happened before my posting here.  (The same thing happens if SP1 is assigned to "Phone 2" on obitalk.com.)   I didn't mind it because it enabled me to use one of the 3 lines for GV.  However, I plan to add a second Freephoneline.ca number to the OBi202, assign it to SP3, assign SP3 to "Phone 2" on obitalk.com and connect SP3/"Phone 2" to one of the 3 lines in the Nortel Venture phone.  However, since GV works on a line to the right of the line connected to SP2, I will need to connect SP2 to Line 2, which will utilize Line 2 and 3.  If I connect SP3 to Line 1, I will assume that Caller ID will not work on Line 1.

If I have the following:

Line 1:  Nothing
Line 2:  SP2/"Phone 1"
Line 3:  POTS

Then, Line 3 does not work well.  Line 3 gets a pulsating dial tone, presumably two dial tones from my POTS line and from SP1 Google Voice.  It also behaves strangely when I try to make a call, as it seems to be calling out on two lines.  After I get my second Freephoneline.ca number and assign it to SP3 and connect SP3 to Line 3, am I correct to assume that I will have the same problem, in that Line 3 will have both SP1 and SP3 on it?

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

It seems that if I want Caller ID on both of my Freephoneline.ca lines, I will need to connect the following:

Line 1:  Nothing
Line 2:  SP3/"Phone 2"
Line 3:  SP2/"Phone 1"

...which means I will not have SP1/Google Voice on any of my 3 lines.

Mango

I'm glad to hear the Caller ID issue is sorted.

I guess the reason why Line 3 works with nothing plugged in is that you are using a 4-wire phone cable.  This allows a single cable to be connected to both ph1 and ph2 ports.  I suspect that things will work as you intend when you add the second FPL number, but if not, let us know.

I would avoid using your ATA on Line 2 and POTS on Line 3 as this could theoretically damage your ATA.

curt00

Quote from: Mango on January 23, 2015, 08:46:18 PM
I'm glad to hear the Caller ID issue is sorted.

I guess the reason why Line 3 works with nothing plugged in is that you are using a 4-wire phone cable.  This allows a single cable to be connected to both ph1 and ph2 ports.  I suspect that things will work as you intend when you add the second FPL number, but if not, let us know.

I would avoid using your ATA on Line 2 and POTS on Line 3 as this could theoretically damage your ATA.

Currently, I have the following:

Line 1:  POTS
Line 2:  SP2/"Phone 1"
Line 3:  Nothing, but I get a dial tone and SP1/Google Voice will work here.

Soon, I will replace the POTS with a second Freephoneline number, so that I have the following:

Line 1:  SP3/"Phone 2"
Line 2:  SP2/"Phone 1"
Line 3:  Nothing, but I get a dial tone and SP1/Google Voice will work here.

Ideally, I would like to have two Freephoneline numbers and Google Voice connected to the 3 lines on the Nortel Venture phone, and have Caller ID work on the two Freephoneline numbers.  Unfortunately, I don't think the above will work because Caller ID did not work on Line 1.  After I get the second Freephoneline number set up on SIP, I will play around and see what I can get to work.  I will post my findings.

Mango

Another reason this will not work is because your OBi202 only has two phone ports.  You will not be able to set up three separate lines, unless you buy another OBi.

You can of course assign multiple service providers to a single phone port.  So for example, you can have both FPL numbers ring on Line 2 of your Venture phone.

Lavarock7

This may not help but is useful to know.

Keep in mind that an Obi202 has BOTH phone lines appear on the Phone-1 port but only line 2 on Phone-2. Thus a two line phone and a 4 wire cable plugged into Phone-1 gets both separate lines delivered to the phone in the correct place.

A single line phone plugged into Phone-1 should only use a 2 wire cable as the phone itself can do things to the other pair of wires which is line 2. This used to be an issue with Princess phones decades ago. The second set of wires was used to light the dial on the phone.

Many people using HP printers have a problem when they use a 4 wire cable to hook up their Fax instead of the 2 wire cable supplied by HP with the fax machine.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

curt00

Quote from: Mango on January 23, 2015, 08:46:18 PM

I added the second Freephoneline number.  The following is how I've got it configured:

SP1:  Google Voice
SP2:  Freephoneline.ca SIP 1st number
SP3:  Freephoneline.ca SIP 2nd number

Phone 1
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:    SP3
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:    SP1,SP3   
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    SP3
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP2

Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:    SP2
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:    SP2   
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    SP2
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP2

Line 1:  SP2/"Phone 2"  (using 2 wire cable)
Line 2:  SP3/"Phone 1"  (using 4 wire cable)
Line 3:  Nothing, but I get a dial tone and SP2/"Phone 2" will work here as well.

When you start pressing the number keypad or pick up the handset on the Nortel Venture phone, Line 1 is the default line and is activated.  I wanted SP2 to be on this default line.  However, since Caller ID does not work on Line 1, I used a 4 wire cable to connect SP3/"Phone 1" to Line 2.  This way, SP2/"Phone 2" will work on Line 3 as well and show the Caller ID, as Caller ID works on Line 3 (and Line 2).

Ideally, I would like Caller ID to work on all 3 lines, so that I can have SP2 on Line 1, SP3 on Line 2 and Google Voice on Line 3.  But it does not seem that this is possible.

Thanks for your help.

BernieCruzIn16

Dear Forum,
1.  Is there an online manual or roadmap explaining each parameter in the OBi Expert Configuration Menu?
2.  When I go into the Expert Config for my OBi202, the parameters are greyed out and I'm unable to change anything.  Given that I'm uninitiated, this is probably a blessing, but I am wondering how I can un-grey it to be able to change settings?
Thanks a million.
Rob

drgeoff

Quote from: BernieCruzIn16 on February 03, 2016, 04:52:22 PM
Dear Forum,
1.  Is there an online manual or roadmap explaining each parameter in the OBi Expert Configuration Menu?
2.  When I go into the Expert Config for my OBi202, the parameters are greyed out and I'm unable to change anything.  Given that I'm uninitiated, this is probably a blessing, but I am wondering how I can un-grey it to be able to change settings?
Thanks a million.
Rob
Please do not post the same questions more than once.