News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phonepower Obi Lite package.

Started by Jackson, February 12, 2015, 06:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson

I'm a very basic phone user.  Been using Anveo's Obi basic (SP1) and GV (SP2).  Coming up for renewal time for ANVEO and I want to switch.  I tend to use ANVEO for out going but lately been getting too many odd little problems, try to make a call and it only rings once, try it again and it might go thru.  Not really worth troubleshooting.

I tried a Phonepower search here and go no real results.  I'd like to try Phonepower's Obi Lite.  Just looking for some feedback on call quality and reliability.

Thanks

Taoman

Quote from: Jackson on February 12, 2015, 06:53:57 AM

I tried a Phonepower search here and go no real results.  I'd like to try Phonepower's Obi Lite.  Just looking for some feedback on call quality and reliability.

I've been using the PP OBi Lite plan since last April. Overall I have been satisfied although now I mainly just use it for E911 and outgoing calls that Google Voice wants to try and charge me for.  I will renew my subscription but that is only because I made some referrals and I have $40 credit built up which will pay for another year's subscription.

Hard to beat the price especially if you're a "very basic phone user."

Tech support is a mixed bag. They are certainly available by phone, chat, or e-mail 7 days a week. But it's a crap shoot on whether whoever you get will be of any help. Some CSRs are quite knowledgeable and will go the extra mile to try and help you. It seems others simply read off a script and if you deviate from the script you're toast.

I think reliability is quite good. I had some initial problems getting my OBi to stay registered. I called tech support and they had me try a bunch of things that didn't work. Finally they said just put my OBi in the DMZ and leave it there which I wasn't about to do. I ended up using the OBi-PP configuration file which changed a few settings on my OBi. Since that time my OBi has been rock solid.

Call quality is also a mixed bag. It certainly is "good enough." But they also certainly don't use premium routing......at least for the OBi plans. Perhaps I am spoiled using IPComms and VoIP.ms for outgoing calls who both use premium routes. But the difference in call quality is noticeable. But again, the call quality using PhonePower certainly is sufficient. I sometimes find it's a crap shoot between Google Voice and PhonePower on who has the best outgoing call quality. Perhaps I am overstating this. I just made several calls using PP and all the calls were perfect.

PhonePower seems to have real issues regarding spoofing outgoing CID. So if I had one crucial word of advice it would be that if and when you sign up for PP thru the OBi web portal you will be given an opportunity to punch in a phone number that you want displayed for your outgoing CID. Get it right the first time. Don't expect you can just get it changed after the fact. Chances are you can't.

Jackson

That was was quite the detailed response.

Thanks a lot. :)

johnrandolph

Like Taoman, I also signed up for the lite package last April and I am also going to renew in a few months.

I personally feel it's the best deal going for lite usage customers. I don't think any other provider offers this good of deal for basic simple service.  Free incoming calls, and 300 minutes of free outgoing calls, and then $0.010/min after that if you go over 300 minutes.  Lots of other features and options to play with as well.  Did I mention that E911 is included?

Unlike Taoman, I needed to change my outgoing caller ID after signing up, and with a quick call to support, it was changed to what I wanted.  I believe there was supposed to be a charge for doing this after signing up, but I never was charged for the change.

The few times I had to contact support they were very helpful.  Not any major issues, but at what they're charging for service, it's a wonder that you get any support at all.  Some providers charge extra for support.  I believe Anveo charges after so many support tickets.

My only gripe, and I'm really nitpicking, is that this lite plan is strictly to be used with the Obi ATA and no other device.  I couldn't even use PP's own Android phone app.  It would never register.

Any hoo, as far as call quality goes, I really am a lite user but I haven't run into any problems with call quality.

I'd say to give em a shot, heck for less than $3.00 a month for what they're offering, it's a no brainer.

Good luck!

surfzombie

Same goes for me.  Signed up last year and have never gone over the 300 minute limit.  I have to reste my Obhi 110 every once in a while for some reason.  Might be time to get a new Obhi.  Call quality is good.  I have had a few dropped calls.  Might be the person calling me's cell provider.  Most criticla with any VOIP is ISP and good compatible router.