News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Audio choppy/broken up

Started by OldBen, March 04, 2015, 07:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldBen

I'm using an OBi100 with a service called Phone Power.  Things sound normal on my end, but I get a lot of complaints from people on the receiving end of the conversation.  They say that my voice is constantly breaking up.

Anything I can do to fix this?  Maybe QoS on my router.  My internet is about 16 Mbps and when I ran one of those online Voip tests, I got good results.  Why can I hear fine, but they can't?   ???

FormerYooper

This issue has been discussed previously on the forum.  However, I will relay my experience with it.  I found that when this happened that (1) either my Carbonite back-up was running in the background or (2) the base unit of my Panasonic phone was too close to my modem/router.  I keep Carbonite paused during the day & keep the base unit of my phone at least 6-10 feet away from the modem/router. 

OldBen

Thanks, that's worth a try.  I've read this is usually due to upstream problems, so I watched my network activity for a while last night, but no programs were uploading anything.  I also realized that my Obi device has been on half duplex/10 mb/s mode.  I switched it to full duplex/100 mb/s.  When I was on the phone yesterday, the other person said it sounded better.  Not sure if this is just a coincidence.  I did notice that the call was more natural sounding.  In the past, it was almost like a 2-way radio and very easy to "step on" the other person while they were talking.  Now, it seems like we can both speak at once.