News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound call to GV/OBI: "We could not complete your call. Please try again"

Started by CarlH, March 06, 2015, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlH

Obi and GV newbie here...

I went through a fairly standard setup to establish GV as a SP on an OBI100.
Status of the OBI100's SP1 at GV is "Connected"
I can make outbound calls - they come from a number in CA (I'm on the east coast).
When I try to return the call, I get the subject recording.
I've made a call from Gmail, that worked too, but did not help this problem.
My Gmail address is listed as a Google Chat address under Phones.
Is there something else I must do to get inbound calls ringing?

I clicked through "Get a voice number" at GV but I don't want a number that rings another phone.  I want to use a number that rings the OBI-100 phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: CarlH on March 06, 2015, 04:09:04 PM
My Gmail address is listed as a Google Chat address under Phones.
What number are you dialling to try to make an inbound call to your OBi?

If it is the CA number that your outgoing call seems to come from, that will not work as an inbound number to you.

If you want a number that rings your Obi you must either get a number from GV or port another number you already have to GV.

CarlH

Yes, I was trying to call the same number that my outbound call originated from.

If that's not the correct number to call, where do I find (or how do I obtain) the correct number to call?

drgeoff

Quote from: CarlH on March 06, 2015, 07:26:48 PM
Yes, I was trying to call the same number that my outbound call originated from.

If that's not the correct number to call, where do I find (or how do I obtain) the correct number to call?
See last line of my edited post above.

CarlH

OK, let's cover "get a number from GV".  Is there documentation for that process that I've missed?

As I said, I started to look at "get a voice number" option at GV, but I didn't want to transfer a mobile number, and I don't want to get a number that must forward to another number.   I want to associate a number with the OBI.

drgeoff

Quote from: CarlH on March 06, 2015, 07:29:59 PM
OK, let's cover "get a number from GV".  Is there documentation for that process that I've missed?

As I said, I started to look at "get a voice number" option at GV, but I didn't want to transfer a mobile number, and I don't want to get a number that must forward to another number.   I want to associate a number with the OBI.
The "get a voice number" option at GV is what you want.  That can be configured to ring your OBi.  The "forward to another number" stuff is for people who don't have an Obi.

SteveInWA

Hi Carl:

Google Voice is an inbound call forwarding service.  By design, people call your Google Voice phone number, and then it forwards that call (rings to) any combination of up to six forwarding phone numbers, optionally including a authorized OBi device.

You need to actually have an inbound Google Voice phone number, to be able to receive calls on your OBi.  Right now, you don't have a Google Voice phone number, so nobody can call you.  OBi devices are making outbound calls via Google's Chat system.  When you don't have your own GV phone number, it substitutes a generic Google caller ID for all calls, made by everyone.  Nobody can call that number to reach you.  It's just a dummy caller ID.

You need to get a Google Voice number.  Either select one from Google's pool of available numbers, or else you can port in a mobile phone number, and thus turn that into a Google Voice number.

For more information, you can read the Google Voice help pages, starting here:

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989

CarlH

OK so GV is a forwarding service.  I knew that, but since OBI was trumpeting GV as a SP, I figured one could construct a fully functional phone, for $0/month, with GV + an OBI.   Not true?

It seem like maybe I don't want GV for inbound OBI calls at all, if I just want a new phone number that can be called from any phone, to ring the OBI.

So here is in a nutshell:
In terms of recurring monthly cost, what is the least expensive way to get a number assigned to the OBI that can be called from any phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: CarlH on March 06, 2015, 07:45:11 PM
OK so GV is a forwarding service.  I knew that, but since OBI was trumpeting GV as a SP, I figured one could construct a fully functional phone, for $0/month, with GV + an OBI.   Not true?

It seem like maybe I don't want GV for inbound OBI calls at all, if I just want a new phone number that can be called from any phone, to ring the OBI.

In terms of recurring monthly cost, what is the least expensive way to get a number assigned to the OBI that can be called from any phone.
Yes, Obi + GV wil give you inbound and outbound (most N. America destinations) for $0 per month.

A GV number can be called from any phone and will ring your Obi and, if you desire it, other "ordinary" phones.

What is your reticence concerning getting a GV number?

SteveInWA

Quote from: CarlH on March 06, 2015, 07:45:11 PM
OK so GV is a forwarding service.  I knew that, but since OBI was trumpeting GV as a SP, I figured one could construct a fully functional phone, for $0/month, with GV + an OBI.   Not true?

You're not making sense.  The solution we described does precisely what you want.  It gives you an inbound phone number that anyone can call, that will ring on your OBi-attached telephone, for free.  You can also make outbound calls from that phone, and it will display the number's caller ID, so people can call it back.  What's your objection to that?

CarlH

OK here's the problem.

In GV, I click "Get a voice number".
I then click "I want a new number".
NOW, I must pick a forwarding number.    I don't want to forward to any number i already have.  I want to forward to the OBI.  The OBI doesn't have a number.   How do I put a number on the OBI?

SteveInWA

To prevent fraud and abuse, Google requires that you assign some existing telephone number as your forwarding phone number when you sign up.  This limits scammers, telemarketers and stalkers from obtaining multiple Google Voice phone numbers.  Once you assign and verify that you do have a unique forwarding number, you don't actually have to use it with Google Voice in the future.  You will be issued your own GV phone number, which will then ring on the OBi.

If you just want a telephone number for your OBi, and you don't want to use Google Voice, then there are many different telephone service providers from which to choose.

CarlH

OK so I went ahead and identified my home phone, told Google to call it, verified it, and now I'm trying to select a phone number in my local calling area.  GV offers me 3 choices, and when I select any one of them and click Continue, I'm told:

"There was an error with your request.  Please try again."

Waste of time and money buying the OBI thinking it might actually work to get free phone service.  I'd been putting off trying GV for years, and it looks like I should continue to avoid it because it's not ready for prime time.  Oh well, live and learn.

LTN1

If you just bought the OBi...why don't you just return it? For millions of people, it isn't a problem but that's not to say that some can't have compatibility issues with this type of technology. So just return it and stick with a landline.

CarlH

Put off messing with it for too long, now beyond the easy return wnidow.  t's not an incredible loss for the OBI100 - my lost time was more valuable.

LTN1

I guess you live and learn...just take the loss and say good-bye to anything connected with these types of technology.

Try to put the item on eBay...maybe you can get something back...or if the money is not too big a deal, give it away to someone else to try.

CarlH

I'm an I.T. professional and I would never give or sell this thing to someone I know because then I'd be expected to make it work.  Don't even get me started on the incredibly bad experience I had with support over the last few days just to get the thing registered on my account.

There are plenty of other VOIP solutions that work reliably - I've had one for years which I was thinking about ending if this worked.  Turns out free service from GV is worth what you pay for it and not a penny more.

From Googling a bit, it appears that GV has had this problem selecting a number for years, without any clear or certain resolution.

drgeoff

I often wonder why the IP Pros seem to have more problems with technology than Joe Public.  :)

CarlH

I have problems with error messages that don't explain anything about the error or what to do next.
I have problems with non-existent documentation.  I really want to RTFM.
I have problems with customer support departments that throw out red-herring excuses when they don't really understand what's going on.

Remember, everyone is new to some bit of I.T. at one point or another, and has to ask questions and learn.  You will experience that again, if you live long enough.

LTN1

I just know that there are millions (literally) of non IT people who uses both Google Voice and the OBi successfully. We typically set it in less than 15 minutes--go figure! Can I say millions again?

SteveInWA and drgeoff are really caring and helpful. Me? I don't care. So if a person wants to quit GV or the OBi...I don't really lose sleep over it.