News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

enhancement to allow incoming call to android smartphone app

Started by bfnnrgn, March 10, 2015, 01:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfnnrgn

Please upgrade the obi smartphone app to remain running in the background for the following cause.

After being told that an obi-app cannot receive an inbound call; I have discovered that if you install the android app and then call your soft-phone number that your android app will ring and you can answer the box caller. I then had another box user install an android app on his phone and from his cell phone obi-app we could call each other back and forth by dialing each others obi-soft-number.
     This method allows peer to peer cell/wifi calling. However Obi does not support inbound calling to their android app and they developed the app to time out after a short interval once started.  Their design is to have you start the app every-time you want to make an outbound call and then time itself out and shut -off after a few minutes.
     I seems to me that it would be a very easy effort to (i) provide an option allowing the app to remain running in the background without timing itself off; and (ii) add an enhancement that on an incoming call the application will pop-up an option allowing the receiving end to answer or reject the call. 

SteveInWA

The feature you're describing can drain a smartphone's battery quickly.  However, if you want to use it, there are already numerous third-party SIP clients for Android that support it, including the free CSIPSimple app, and the excellent Bria softphone from Counterpath.

giqcass

I have always found the inability to run in the background to be the biggest flaw for that app.  It's true it can be a battery hog but sometimes it's worth a little extra drain.  Done correctly the battery use does not have to make a sip client unusable. 

Both of the suggestions Steve made are good.  I have used CsipSimple quite a bit and it worked great but I would like to add one more suggestion to the list.  I have been using the new Grandstream Wave sip client and I really like it.

A sip client like the ones we suggested can do virtually everything Obion can.  The only downside is that setup takes a little more time.  After that they can be used seamlessly in conjunction with any Obi device.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ansextra

My provider (VOIPO) allows "follow me" which will automatically call my cell phone if I don't answer my Obi desk phone.  Additionally, for situations where I want to dial on my cellphone but have it seem as if I'm using my desk phone I have set up my cell phone set up as a trusted caller.  Then I use Option 2 on the Auto Attendant to make my calls.  For me this setup negates the need for a 3rd party SIP app and therefore saves my mobile phone battery.