News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blocking RoboCalls and Phishing Scammers...

Started by JerryH, March 24, 2015, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryH

Lately, I have been in touch with Ring.To about a concern:

We get an abundance of calls from "Unknown" callers. The number will show up on the Caller ID, but the name reads as "Unknown".

These calls are (in our case) 100% scams and phishing attempts. Usually, what happens is...

We will receive a hang-up call from an Unknown caller with an area code from a far away city/state (NY, CA, or Miami, Las Vegas, etc.).

Not long after, we receive a call from a telemarketer or robocall with an In-State area code. (Both calls still read "Unknown".)

I've done some research...it seems the common practice for these Scammers is to have their program call to make sure it is a working number (either by an answer, or answering machine) and then they spoof a number from a local area code from which they make their pitch.

Is there a way to block calls from callers that show their name as "Unknown"?

bobpaul

Anyone?

I've been getting a lot of calls from name "DD" and name "IR" as well. They use a different number every time so I can't just block by number. I added 'DD'|'IR'| to my digit map that I use to block numbers and it's not matching (surely because that word isn't in the caller id number field).

Can we block based on the name field?