News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 GV accounts with IP Phone

Started by jluros, March 26, 2015, 11:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jluros

I have been using my OBI110 for several years, and love it. We have two Google Voice accounts routing in to our Obi110, with my account being "primary" and my wife's account being secondary. We've been using an analog cordless phone system running off the FXO/phone port of the Obi box. I now want to add softphones and/or IP phones to the mix. Is this possible, or does the Obi110 require a spare SIP endpoint (currently occupied by the 2nd GV account)? I suppose I could get an OBI202, but I would prefer not to if there is a way to do this with our current hardware. I also imagine that I may need an Asterisk box if we have multiple IP phones to route calls, but I have enough retired computers to run Asterisk without too much trouble.

azrobert

You need a SIP endpoint to do what you want.

If you don't need 2 phone ports, you can get an OBi200.

Another option is the OBi1032 IP phone. You can define 1 or both GV accounts on it then you can access it with the phone attached to the OBi110.

You can also use an Android or iPhone with an OBi200. Just install a softphone. If you don't want to use your current mobile, you can buy a cheap Android.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9351.0

You can install the GV Hangouts app on a smartphone then you can keep your OBi110. Hangouts will talk directly to GV without an OBi ATA.

I'm not an electricity usage expert, but from what I read it's cheaper in the long run to buy a Raspberry Pi and run Asterisk on it. Older PCs are electricity hogs.