News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 - Not sure if this is possible Fax ring, PSTN phone and VOIP

Started by mrlayance, April 02, 2015, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlayance

Just got a fax line set up for the boss.  I have a obi110.

I have a regular pstn phone line for local calls, XXX-XXX-XXXX.  I use my obi110 for long distance, 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Today I added a second number on the same line and a different ring tone for a fax.

The problem is the second number does not ring with the distinct ring tone.

Not sure how to fix this.

azrobert

You said:
QuoteI added a second number on the same line

Does that mean the 2nd number in coming via SP1 or SP2?
Ring patterns are set at the SP trunk level.
If both numbers are coming in via SP1, you can't set a different ring pattern for the 2nd number.

Assuming the 2nd number is on SP2, change the following:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> DefaultRing
Set it to "2" for a triple ring.
Set it to "3" for a double ring.

The ring pattern is determined by a combination of X_RingProfile and DefaultRing.
The ring profiles are found here:
Ring Settings -> Ring Profile A/B

You need to use OBi Expert to find and modify these.

SteveInWA

Quote from: mrlayance on April 02, 2015, 04:14:09 PM
Just got a fax line set up for the boss.  I have a obi110.

I have a regular pstn phone line for local calls, XXX-XXX-XXXX.  I use my obi110 for long distance, 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Today I added a second number on the same line and a different ring tone for a fax.

The problem is the second number does not ring with the distinct ring tone.

Not sure how to fix this.

That's the 1980s way of having a second phone number for a fax machine.

You're using a POTS telephone carrier's "distinctive ring" service to have a second phone number assigned to the same inbound telephone line, and the POTS line is sending the double-ring tones from the central office.

If you want to use that, you need to plug the POTS line into the fax machine via a RJ-11 phone jack splitter.

The "modern" method of handling inbound faxes is to set up a fax mailbox, on an inbound number provided by a VoIP telephone service provider, like Callcentric.  It will save the faxes as PDF or JPG files, which it can then email to your boss.