News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI the biggest pain ever

Started by larams, April 03, 2015, 01:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larams

I'm getting really tired of fooling around with this absolutely horrible obi100. It will not work with my google voice. I followed the instructions exactly and have done that numerous times now with zero success.

I have a dial tone but cannot dial out or receive calls. The dashboard has a green light and says it's configured.

I feel at this point that Obi is nothing but a ripoff. I had an obi before and used it with Vestalink it was just as much of a pain then. Every other day the service would go out and I would have to go into obitalk dashboard and go through a bunch of crap resetting everything.

Your so called savings by using Obi is a crock. There is no savings when hours of your time is wasted trying to get it to work.

Customer service? What customer service? You don't respond to anyone ever!

I would really like my money back for the two Obi100's I have that are unreliable and an absolute nightmare to setup.

drgeoff

These forums are used for requesting or offering assistance. You do not appear to be doing either of those,  so please go away.

mykmayk

argh! "stupid machine. i'm so smart. this machine is so dumb. blah-blah-blah!"

i must agree. you are indeed the biggest pain ever.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

Mango

The OBi100 has a 4.6 star rating over 2,329 reviews on Amazon.com.  These devices are extremely reliable, and are the most popular and most powerful ATA devices on the market today.  Like many things, they are only "the biggest pain ever" if you do not know what you are doing.

May I suggest you try your device behind a different brand of router?  Since you have problems with two different service providers using two different protocols, eliminating your router as a cause of the problem is the first troubleshooting step.  Many routers are unsuitable for VoIP use.

VOIPsmasher

Quote from: larams on April 03, 2015, 01:52:45 PM
Your so called savings by using Obi is a crock. There is no savings when hours of your time is wasted trying to get it to work.

I sympathize with your frustration and feel sorry that some other users on the forums here are being mean while they happily call away on their working Obi devices.

Obi seems to be one of those things that gets rave reviews because either the overwhelming majority are lucky and don't have issues or they are network engineers and can and don't mind fiddling around with settings. If you fall into the small percentage of users who have real problems though and you're not a network engineer, good luck!

But as the poster above me suggested, maybe your router is the problem. Why not post the exact model number of your router? If it's your router model that's the problem there will be numerous reports about it not being compatible with VOIP devices. Let's find out if that's the issue.

vtsnaab

What I see in this thread is that the OP came just to flame Obi, then left it at that.

I am not a network engineer - I am also an Obi user for years now - I have run into some problems that I needed help with.

Perhaps I am favourably biased, BUT:
There are some wonderfully generous, helpful folks here and in most of my situations I have been able to get great help right in this forum from other really helpful users here.

My only exception, problem-solving wise, here - has literally been with one I just recently posted that brought no real help a'tall.

But 2 thoughts alter that as well:
The problems seem to have vanished all on their own.
Maybe they were so odd that nobody else had those same ones before.

As an Obi user who has no need for either a landline or a cellular phone anymore, the notion of having a real phone that just uses my broadband connection pleases me immensely.

So I close here thusly:
You can please some folks SOME of the time - but nobody can please ALL of the folks ALL of the time.

And life goes on...