News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using 202 router function significantly slows throughput

Started by sms88, April 08, 2015, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sms88

My normal broadband speed to wired ports on my Netgear router is 59Mb/s. If I put the 202 between the modem and router the speed falls to 25Mb/s.

If I understand correctly, the reason for putting the 202 between the modem and router is so that voice packet prioritization will be functional.

Questions
1. Is there some tweaking to the Obi 202 that will eliminate the bottleneck when connecting it between the modem and wireless router?

2. If I just plug it into the router (as I am doing now) are there any changes I should make to the settings?

202Owner

The OBi router throughput is 30Mbps max.  This is in the Admin Guide.

The only reason for the OBi QOS is if you use the router.  And I would only use the router for some niche reason.

The only tweaking of the OBi that might speed up the Ethernet is to change the WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex (undocumented?):

Dial *** for Device Configuration Menu
Dial 0 for option
Dial 27# for current value
Dial 1 to set a new value
Dial 1# for new value 100Mbs full-duplex
Dial 1 to confirm/save
Hang up to reboot automatically

If you just plug the OBi into your router, I would switch it to Bridge Mode and have your router assign a static IP address for your convenience:

LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge
Submit
Reboot

In Bridge Mode, the OBi is a 3-port switch with 1-port internal.