News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect SIP Phone to ObiTalk Account

Started by Bernard_J_L, April 08, 2015, 12:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernard_J_L

We have been looking for information on how to connect to our ObiTalk account.

We have a Cisco SIP phone that, over time, we have used with a number of SIP services.  With our ObiTalk account we would like to connect the SIP phone to our ObiTalk account.  Then we can use that phone to make calls using our Google Voice number.  So just like we can connect a plain old phone via the RJ11 jack on our ObiTalk device, we want to use our SIP phone in the same way.

We are unable to find information (like the ObiTalk SIP server name) needed to configure the phone.

The forums have plenty of information on configuration the "back side"--- that is connecting our account to a SIP provider.  However, we are looking at the "front side" where we connect the SIP phone to the account.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this...we appreciate it.

N7AS

You can't use an IP Phone with an OBiTalk account directly, but can use
Bill Simon's Google Voice Gateway to use your Cisco IP Phone with Google Voice.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

azrobert

I'm confused on what you want. Like N7AS said you can't connect an IP Phone to your OBiTalk Account, but you can use an IP phone directly with an OBi ATA.

If you have an OBi2xx you can register an IP phone to it. This requires a free SP trunk on the OBi2xx.

If you have an OBi1xx or an OBi2xx without a free SP trunk, you can still use an IP phone with it. This setup requires the IP phone to be able to call without registration and a SP trunk defined on the OBi as SIP.

Some people with Cisco IP phone had trouble receiving inbound calls from the OBi.

You can also look at OBiPlus. I never used it, so I won't comment.

Bernard_J_L

Quote from: N7AS on April 08, 2015, 12:33:27 PM
You can't use an IP Phone with an OBiTalk account directly, but can use
Bill Simon's Google Voice Gateway to use your Cisco IP Phone with Google Voice.

N7AS, something like that is what we were looking for.  We will give it a try to see how it works.  Thanks so much for the quick response.  "... VY 73 SK N7AS DE N5TES K"

Bernard_J_L

Quote from: azrobert on April 08, 2015, 01:21:50 PM
I'm confused on what you want. Like N7AS said you can't connect an IP Phone to your OBiTalk Account, but you can use an IP phone directly with an OBi ATA.

If you have an OBi2xx you can register an IP phone to it. This requires a free SP trunk on the OBi2xx.

If you have an OBi1xx or an OBi2xx without a free SP trunk, you can still use an IP phone with it. This setup requires the IP phone to be able to call without registration and a SP trunk defined on the OBi as SIP.

Some people with Cisco IP phone had trouble receiving inbound calls from the OBi.

You can also look at OBiPlus. I never used it, so I won't comment.

Azrobert, thanks for the quick response.  As you noted, the information provided by N7AS is most likely what we need.  We will check into your suggestion of connecting our IP phone.  We will need to check the configuration of the phone to see if it does allow a call without registration.  We have seen if a "registration" fails it will not allow calls.  So we will some research on that. 

Thanks again for the quick response it is really appreciated.