News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi 100 with Google Voice in South America

Started by Reuven, April 17, 2015, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuven

I have 2 OBi devices - OBi 110 and OBi 100. I use both with two different Google Voice numbers.

We are traveling to South America soon. I would like to take with me the OBi 100 and use it there (hooking up the unit to relative's router).

My questions are:

Would it work unmodified to make and receive phone calls?

Would I need to change any settings ahead of time or after arrival?

Anything else I should be aware of?

In the past I used to get MajicJack for that purpose, but I would rather avoid spending money if I can use my OBi device.

Thanks for your help,
Reuven

SteveInWA

As long as "South America" truly means South America, and not Mexico, it should work fine.  Google Chat/Hangouts will generally not work in Mexico, thanks to their government's ties to Carlos Slim's telecom empire.

Reuven

We are going to Colombia. In my book Mexico is North America...

SteveInWA

Right... That's why I was just confirming your planned destination.  Some people are intellectually and geographically challenged, so one never knows.  Happy travels!

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 17, 2015, 06:59:43 PM
As long as "South America" truly means South America, and not Mexico, it should work fine.  Google Chat/Hangouts will generally not work in Mexico, thanks to their government's ties to Carlos Slim's telecom empire.

Steve...is there a compilation or list of countries that GV and the OBi will not work in?

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on April 17, 2015, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on April 17, 2015, 06:59:43 PM

Steve...is there a compilation or list of countries that GV and the OBi will not work in?

Yep:  https://support.google.com/chat/answer/1267644?hl=en

Reuven

While I am please to find out that my device will work in Colombia, I was more concerned whether I'll need to do any modifications or simply plug it in and dial/receive...

LTN1

Quote from: Reuven on April 17, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
While I am please to find out that my device will work in Colombia, I was more concerned whether I'll need to do any modifications or simply plug it in and dial/receive...

You should be able to without any additional configuration. If you are blocked, just go into your Gmail and/or Google Voice immediately after the block to confirm that it was you accessing the account. Sometimes Google will block a suspicious activity--as logging into your account from another country that isn't your normal habit as a way of protecting your security. However, if you are doing it (in that country or using a VPN connection), all you have to do is log in and click yes if something shows up asking something to this nature, "A suspicious attempt...was this you?"

bsdaiwa

I have homes in Brazil and Argentina setup with Obi 110's and 200's using GV and CallCentric and have had no problems. I see that Google has listed Hangouts as not available in Argentina, but I was there last week and it worked fine for me, using both 110's and 200's. I have been using GV in both countries since it was first offered by SipPhone prior to their purchase by Google.

SteveInWA

Quote from: bsdaiwa on April 18, 2015, 08:04:01 AM
I have homes in Brazil and Argentina setup with Obi 110's and 200's using GV and CallCentric and have had no problems. I see that Google has listed Hangouts as not available in Argentina, but I was there last week and it worked fine for me, using both 110's and 200's. I have been using GV in both countries since it was first offered by SipPhone prior to their purchase by Google.

Google is continually adding more carrier connections, and it's possible that an unblocked path out of Argentina is now available, but the document wasn't updated.

Google Voice was originally GrandCentral, which had nothing to do with Sipphone.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 18, 2015, 09:53:59 PM
Google is continually adding more carrier connections, and it's possible that an unblocked path out of Argentina is now available, but the document wasn't updated.

Google Voice was originally GrandCentral, which had nothing to do with Sipphone.

For several years prior to it's purchase by Google, SipPhone (Gizmo5) offered the ability to link your GV account to your SipPhone (Gizom5) account allowing you to place and receive your GV calls through the SipPhone (Gizmo5) devices. SipPhone (Gizmo5) sold various ATA's that were used for this service. Beginning from the time that service was offered by SipPhone (Gizmo5) through today I have always been able to make and receive calls in Brazil and Argentina.
Yes, I know that GrandCenteal was originally Google Vocie, I had an account with GrandCentral.

proteus

While it would work, outgoing calls to US may not be free since Google may recognize the IP as a non-US IP.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: proteus on May 10, 2015, 12:34:23 PM
While it would work, outgoing calls to US may not be free since Google may recognize the IP as a non-US IP.

I have homes in Brasil, Argentina and USA and have been using GV for over 5 years from all locations and never been charged for any calls. When I am in South America GV works just like you are in the USA, no charge for calls within USA and Canada. I receive calls made to my GV number at both of my South American homes just like I receive calls on a GV number when in the USA, people calling me from the USA to my GV number(s) in South America are never charged. This has worked for me for over 5 years.

Reuven

Update:
We just came back from Colombia. I hooked up my device to a router and it worked beautifully right away. Sounded just like at home.

Thank for everyone's help.

Reuven

Lavarock7

Quote from: Reuven on July 03, 2015, 06:22:04 PM
Update:
We just came back from Colombia. I hooked up my device to a router and it worked beautifully right away. Sounded just like at home.

But did everyone have a foreign accent? :-)
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Reuven

Quote from: Lavarock7 on July 04, 2015, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: Reuven on July 03, 2015, 06:22:04 PM
Update:

But did everyone have a foreign accent? :-)
Funny....  ;D  No because I only called the US for free. I also bought a local SIM card for my phone for local calls.

dircom

I sent an Obi to Belize, and can report it works fine, even over a microwave link (@ 800K down and @400K up)
but they do have a foreign accent.

Is there a setting I can change?