News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

installation issues -- firewall? port settings?

Started by Kaijin, April 19, 2015, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaijin

I'm trying to set up my new OBi200, but I'm unable to get to first base...I've connected the powered device to my switch and my phone. All three LEDs are a steady green and I have internet access, but there's no dial tone on the phone and dialing **9-222-222-222 seems to do nothing. I've tried adding a new device, dialing **5 and the 4 digit number---nothing and it times out.

The troubleshooting page suggests that a firewall may be the cause of the problem. (I have an Actiontec dsl modem.) I've verified (mostly certain) that the firewall is off on my modem and I've even tried turning the DMZ on for the IP address used by the OBi200. Nothing.

I've read that TCP and UDP ports need to have a specific configuration. I don't have a router, I have a switch, and, as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any means for accessing these ports on my modem (if, indeed, I have them!).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks...

SteveInWA

The Actiontec is a combination DSL modem, integrated router and switch.  There are a lot of different models, so you'd need to check your user manual (or download it from Actiontec), to learn more about its settings.

You shouldn't need to put the OBi in the DMZ.  It's likely you have some other issue.  When you pick up the telephone plugged into the OBi, does the right-most green LED slowly blink on and off in a regular cadence?  If not, your telephone or its cord is bad; try another one.  When you press the touch tone keys on the phone, do they make sounds?  Can you enter ***1, and hear the woman's voice say "Basic network status:  your IP address is ..."?

I'm sure the router guys will hop on here with troubleshooting instructions shortly.

drgeoff

Obi devices should give dial tone even with nothing plugged in to the ethernet socket.  As SteveInWA says try another phone and/or phone cord.