News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Scheduled Do Not Disturb

Started by hoyt, April 10, 2015, 05:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoyt

I just received and setup my OBI1000 and am quite impressed... My setup is fairly normal I believe.  I have a GV number that I've signed into, and that number also rings my cell phone and Google Hangouts.  I'd like to setup the OBI1000 to not ring during certain hours, but the cell and Hangouts should.  I point that out because the DND cannot reside with Google Voice, since I need it 24/7 on my other devices.

I read through the user's guide and didn't see a way to do this, but I thought there has to be another method.  I'm fairly adept at scripting, so I figured I could at least write a script to put in a server's cron job to control this.  I see that there's a way to reboot the device remotely, is there not a way to change the config without using that reboot command?  Is there further documentation about sending remote commands to the OBI devices?  Is there a method to auto-schedule Do Not Disturb?

Thanks!

202Owner

I think remote provisioning with a reboot on schedule would be your only option, maybe, but that would not be practical.

drgeoff

Run an Asterisk server (possibly on a Raspberry Pi) and pay the modest one-off fee for GVSip or the Simon Telephonics alternative. Asterisk lets you configure time based inbound calling rules. (And time based outbound ones too.)

Or use a free PBXes account instead of your own Asterisk.

SteveInWA

Or, go to the hardware store, and buy a light timer, and set it to power off the OBi when you don't want to use it.

RFC3261

Quote from: hoyt on April 10, 2015, 05:17:58 PM
Is there a method to auto-schedule Do Not Disturb?

While I do not use the feature, ObiPLUS (even the "free" version) provides basic time based incoming call routing.  Unfortunately, while a OBi1xxx can be a client, as far as I know it cannot be a master (not sure if there was ever a plan to allow that).  That means other than the light timer (obligatory xkcd ref: http://www.xkcd.com/1495/ ), or the equivalent of unplugging the phone (I know of people that have unplugged their phone every night for decades to avoid interrupting their sleep; it was as automatic as brushing their teeth), you would need to consider either an additional devlce (Obi202, asterisk server, etc.) or an upstream provider that supports your needs.

hoyt

Thanks for the ideas.  I think it's too bad the phone doesn't do this on its own.  I went ahead and created a new Google Voice account specific for this phone (to separate the calls that I want to allow after hours on my cell and the ones I do not want to allow on the Obi phone).  Then in GV I can set DND on a schedule for the phone - at least I think that's what the settings do that I changed.