News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best option(s) for ringing both SPs simultaneously

Started by klaberte, April 19, 2015, 08:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaberte

I want to increase the reliability for incoming calls will actually ring our phone connected to our obi 200.  Right now, I use anveo, and while it works most of the time, with some regularity, when someone calls, our home phone does not ring, and the caller gets bounced to voicemail.

My thought was, by adding ringto or google voice as a backup SP2, I can have both service providers ring my Obi, and when the phone is picked up, it connects one of the SPs, and stops ringing on the other SP.

Is this a valid approach?  What are best practices for using a second service provider to increase reliability for incoming calls? 

drgeoff

My first line of action would be to put some effort into troubleshooting why your phone is not ringing reliably.

Log in locally to your Obi and look at Call History. That will have enough info that you can know if the missed calls never reached your Obi or if they did but something went wrong between that and your phone's ringer.

klaberte

OK, that is quite useful.  Still, I am not sure what I'm looking for.  What would I expect to see if a missed call never made it to my Obi?

Also, is there a log file that shows when my Obi loses connection with Anveo?  Where would I look for that?

drgeoff

Quote from: klaberte on April 20, 2015, 06:31:07 AM
OK, that is quite useful.  Still, I am not sure what I'm looking for.  What would I expect to see if a missed call never made it to my Obi?

Also, is there a log file that shows when my Obi loses connection with Anveo?  Where would I look for that?
1.  All incoming calls will appear in Call History.  If a call you know was made but did not ring your phone is not listed in Call History then it didn't reach your Obi.  If you have not already done so have a look at your Call History to see that it shows date, start time, end time, incoming route, CID and what the Obi did with the call.

2.  There is no such log file "ready made" on the Obi.  The Obi is able to send log messages to an syslog server elsewhere; typically running on a computer on your LAN.  System Management, Device Admin, Syslog is where you set the parameters for that external server.  However, ploughing through the log to find when connection to Anveo is lost may be non-trivial.

azrobert

Check your router for the SIP ALG option. If you have this parameter and it's enabled, disable it.

If your connection to Anveo is getting lost, you can try turning on Keep Alive.
I think you only have to enable it like this:
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked

sailing

I had Anveo once. A friend could never reach me. He would get diverted to voicemail or get nothing. A few months later, it happened with another friend's phone number. I dropped Anveo for voip.ms and have not had this problem since. This happened in 2014. If your connection is reliable to Anveo, then it looks like Anveo never fixed whatever this issue is.