News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I have more than one Obihai Units working on one modem?

Started by Vinhvinny, April 23, 2015, 01:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinhvinny

I am currently using one Obi101 at my home?

Can I add more units like this or better onto my home using the same modem, which will all share the same IP address?

I will apply for different GV number for new unit.

Thanks.

vinny

MurrayB

I have multiple Obi110 on the same modem/router they each have their own IP address.

Good Luck!

Rick

You can have multiple OBi units in your home, yes.

No, you cannot share the same address.

However, I think you've left something out.  With a modem connected to the internet, you also need a router.  That may be built into your unit, or it may be standalone.  The router takes the ONE address given to you by your cable/DSL company and gives each device in your home an individual address.

Each OBi device must have a unique address within your home network, just like every other device attached to that network (for example, each computer you have has a unique address).

If you have a router, then you can have several OBi devices.

Vinhvinny

Please let me clarify,

I currently have one obi101 at my home with a GV number,

Say if I buy obi202, which has two phone jacks. So if I go apply of two more separate  gmail accounts and get two more different phone numbers.

when these two obihai's are connected to one same router, does this mean i will have three (3) separate phone lines and each phone  can call one another?

thank you

vinny

azrobert

Yes, you will have 3 lines.

You can define 2 GV accounts on an OBi1xx. It only has one phone port, but you can use an Android phone with a softphone installed over your local WiFi as a 2nd phone. You can also use a computer as a 2nd phone.

Warning: You can't use the same phone number (forwarding number) as you used to setup the current GV account to setup a new GV account. Bad things will happen if you try. You will need 2 new real phone numbers to setup the GV accounts.

Sheffield_Steve

Wow,  That is the way I have my two GV numbers setup.  (Both forwarding to the same cell phone)

All appears to be working correctly.  What "Bad things" should I expect?

Quote from: azrobert on May 02, 2015, 08:54:52 AM

Warning: You can't use the same phone number (forwarding number) as you used to setup the current GV account to setup a new GV account. Bad things will happen if you try. You will need 2 new real phone numbers to setup the GV accounts.

azrobert

I don't have 1st hand knowledge of this policy. I'm quoting SteveInWa, our resident GV expert. The bad thing is you will be locked out of your GV account. I don't know if that means one or both accounts. Maybe Steve can chime in and clarify the policy. I'll see if I can find his post.

I'm not talking about adding a number to a 2nd GV account as a forwarding number. This is allowed. This is about the initial setup of the GV account. You can't use the same number to initially setup 2 GV accounts. This is to prevent fraud. One example is people would get a 2nd GV account to change their phone number and avoid paying the $10 fee.

If you have setup 2 GV accounts with the same number, maybe Google has changed their policy. Please let us know if you have done this.

Sheffield_Steve

Thanks,

I have two separate Google Voice numbers that both forward to the same cell phone both set up as a mobile phone in Google voice (T-Mobile).  It's been this way for more than year and appears to work just fine.  (i.e. No lock outs yet)

azrobert

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on May 02, 2015, 11:08:41 AM
Thanks,

I have two separate Google Voice numbers that both forward to the same cell phone both set up as a mobile phone in Google voice (T-Mobile).  It's been this way for more than year and appears to work just fine.  (i.e. No lock outs yet)

Please clarify. Were both GV account initially setup with the same cell number?

Sheffield_Steve

Yes,

It was the same cell phone number, but initially I had one GV number marked as a home phone and the other as a cell phone in Google voice settings.

Some time last year I found it was possible to also set the one marked as home phone to cell phone.  GV gave an error but it still did it.

Now I can get calls and SMS's from either Google voice number to my cell phone.

azrobert

Here is SteveInWa's post on this issue:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9217.msg61050#msg61050

I don't know when this policy started or if it ended.

Sheffield_Steve

Thanks,

It looks like I have been very lucky then!  I'm leaving well alone at this point as it's working

restamp

1.  So is this analysis correct:  If you possess a non-GV phone number and try to use it as the initial forwarding number for obtaining a new GV phone number, if that phone number has ever been used in the past for this purpose, it will henceforth and forevermore be declared a phone-number-non-grata by Google, whether or not the GV number which was allowed by it is still in service.  (If I create a temporary GV number to play around with and later release it, the forwarding number used for this purpose remains tainted?)  Q1: Will the original GV number, if it is still in service, be affected if this is done, or will it just prevent you from obtaining a new GV number? Q2:  Does the number have to be validated first?  If not, I can see a huge denial-of-service exploit here.

2.  In the Google thread pointed to by SteveInWa, https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/eMKXjRdIWTs[1-25] , it is stated several times that Google is working on a solution to this problem.  Can anyone tell us if such a solution has been forthcoming yet, and if so, how it works?

Thanks in advance!