News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IP phones or keep analog for home

Started by acrumbacker, April 24, 2015, 07:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrumbacker

I currently have the Obi202 that outputs to a Leviton 1x8 splitter for phone lines.  My house has both wired and wireless phones (the wireless are 3 satellite phones) and when someone calls, six phones go off and I pick up the closest phone ringing.  It would be nice if some of this newer technology could be implemented to improve functionality.

Any suggestions/ideas on hardware that might improve my setup?

OzarkEdge

Not really.  The OBi202 is capable, efficient, and economical.  Unless you have a specific need, I'd stick with what you've got.  Maybe add a UPS or prepare a spare ata for backup.

IP phones have stronger call handling features?, better sound quality?, and cost more.  They may also require more distributed admin and more network access and more costly spares.

Newer DECT 6.0? wireless phones might enhance your current setup, but could add unwanted cost and complexity.

You could try one IP phone to enhance a home office and to experiment.

You could deploy some softphones on mobile devices as mobile extensions.

OE

drgeoff

I've had DECT phones at home for 15 years. Have now also an OBi1032 IP phone but when using that I really miss the freedom of not being tethered. IP phones seem more suited to office or home office use where the user is sat at a desk.

acrumbacker

The grass is always greener..... thanks for affirming!

carlyle705

I have 2 Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone. Their sound quality is crappy compared to any of IP phone.