News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice with GVSip vs. OBi

Started by LTN1, April 28, 2015, 08:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

Has no one tried testing the call quality of GVSip as compared to the call quality of the OBi?--or, have very few people cared to tried the service due to the history of the promoter and associated service? If the latter...it is a sign of an eventual death knell to those services.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: LTN1 on May 04, 2015, 07:11:39 AM
Has no one tried testing the call quality of GVSip as compared to the call quality of the OBi?--or, have very few people cared to tried the service due to the history of the promoter and associated service? If the latter...it is a sign of an eventual death knell to those services.

From what I've gathered, the call quality is fine... just a touch more unnoticeable latency introduced by the additional gateway hop to/from GV.

If you are satisfied with your GV/OBi combo, you don't need these GV gateways.

If you need some feature that GV/OBi can't provide like voicemail with indication, 911, etc, or have a non-OBi/GV SIP device, then the GV SIP gateways can offer access to GV plus any add-on features offered.

Take it or leave it... that's about as muddy as it gets, imo.

OE

LTN1

Quote from: OzarkEdge on May 04, 2015, 08:36:43 AM

From what I've gathered, the call quality is fine... just a touch more unnoticeable latency introduced by the additional gateway hop to/from GV.

OE

Is this from your own use of GVSip? And if so, have you the chance to test if it can be used to fax like the OBi200s?

OzarkEdge

I only use GV for outbound failover and do not need an additional gateway for this.

Other users seem to have no significant complaints with the GV gateways.  However, they are an additional point of potential failure.  POTS was never as fragmented as are so many DIY VoIP implementations.

As for faxing through a GV gateway, it should be no better than faxing through GV, which as you noted in your original post is not perfect.  I believe GV is for voice calls only, so I would not rely on GV for fax/data comms, gateway or no gateway.

OE