News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

flashing red light on OBI110: no link light on the router port

Started by bmjihome, June 05, 2011, 08:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmjihome

Hi Everyone,
I bought my obi110 a few days ago.  It took a few tries of plugging and unplugging, but I was able to eventually get things working by first plugging in my phone, and Ethernet port, THEN powering on the unit.  Just like it says in the directions. ;)  After that I was able to dial the echo service, no problem.

This morning I was going to set things up with google voice.  I created an account on obitalk.com as per the instructions.  When that was finished, I went to powerup the obi110 and all I could get was a flashing read power LED.  I tried unplugging all the cables and then plugging them back in, swapping the cables.   Turning the unit off, then back on.  I even tried moving the unit to a different switch just to see if it would try and pick up an IP address.  I don't even get a link light (on either router, or switch) which makes me think I'm not even getting physical connectivity.  I have also tried resetting the unit, holding in the reset button for 60 seconds, and even holding the button *THEN* powering on the unit.  --nothing.

I'm baffled that this worked so easily yesterday and today, its sucking my will to live.

Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone every hear of an OBI110 becoming bricked after a day?

Thanks

RonR

After you added the OBi on the OBiTALK site, there was probably a yellow triangle on the page alerting you that a firmware update was available.  Did you happen to click on it?  If so, the update process would have been started.  The red LED blinks while the OBi is updating.  Removing power while this is occurring can render the unit unusable.

bmjihome

Thanks for the response Ron.

I never did get far enough in the process to add the OBI110 to my account.  The only number I dialed from the unit was the echo service.  Only the soft phone is listed in the Dashboard.

Is it possible that the unit would have started a download without being added as a device?

Thanks

Bryan

RonR

It would if you enabled firmware updates in the OBi at:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method : System Start or Periodically

RonR

Now that I think about it, I believe firmware updates are enabled by default in the original firmware.  It's since been changed to default to Disabled, probably because of this very vulnerability.

If your OBi is totally dead and won't come back using the reset button on the bottom side, you'll probably need to get it replaced by Amazon or Obihai under warranty.

bmjihome

Ron said,

"It's since been changed to default to Disabled, probably because of this very vulnerability."

Thanks,
That answers my question.