News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Softphone and Auto Attendant Clarification

Started by patlaw, May 09, 2015, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patlaw

I've read about configuring Obi devices to the point that I thoroughly confused. My Obi200 is installed and working well. However, I'm confused about the Softphone. The number for the Softphone is different from the device. Can someone call the Softphone using that number? If someone dials my Softphone number, they get a 404 error. That's probably normal. If they dial my Obi200 number, the call comes through.

I've seen the instructions to remove codes from the Expert page to disable Auto Attendant. That's scary. Since some of the online posts and instructions apply to old firmware versions, I'll ask. Is there not a check block somewhere to disable AA?

The Obi200 is an amazing box. I love it. However, the instructions for us newbies are really challenging, and I'm a techie. Thanks for the help. Please type your response slowly so that I can understand it!  ;D

azrobert

1st my disclaimer:
I don't use Obitalk to configure my devices. I do everything thru the local interface. I only configured GV thru OBiTalk then switched back to the local interface. Anything I say about OBiTalk might not be accurate.

Now about the OBion softphone. Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. The OBi200 number and the softphone number are their 9 digit OBi number. Correct? You call the device by dialing **9 followed by the 9 digit OBi number. To be able to successfully call the OBion softphone it has to be installed on a smartphone, either an Android or iPhone and it must be active and connected to the OBiTalk servers. The 404 error means Not Found, so the OBion softphone was not connected to the OBiTalk servers.

I've been around a long time and I think things have changed concerning the Auto Attendant since I added my devices to OBiTalk. I think (not sure) code is added to send an OBiTalk call to the AA when you add more than 1 device. Maybe the same for the OBion softphone. The only way to change this is to remove the code with OBi Expert. Another way code is added for the AA is when someone with another account requests to be added to your Circle of Trust. Deleting them from your COT might remove the AA code.

If you are a techie, why are you afraid of using OBi Expert? It's not that hard. The rules have not changed from earlier firmware. OBihai has added some options, but these wouldn't be included in the AA code.

The AA code will be found here:
Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute

Each rule is enclosed within curly brackets. The rules will look something like:
{(xxxxxxxxx):aa}
xxxxxxxxx is an OBi number.
There may be multiple OBi numbers like:
{(xxxxxxxxx|yyyyyyyyy):aa}

The :aa is routing the call to the Auto Attendant when a match occurs.

Remove any rule (plus a comma) routing calls to the Auto Attendant.

This is a general OBi Expert guide:
From the OBiTalk dashboard click Edit Profile on the left column.
At the bottom of the page check "Enable Obi Expert..."
Click Submit Query.
Now you can go directly to OBi Expert from the dashboard.

Click OBi Dashboard.
On the right of your OBixxx is an icon with a red E.
Click on it to enter OBi Expert.

To navigate click on the titles with the +
Then click on a sub-title
An example click on Voice Services
Then click OBiTalk Service
There are 2 boxes to the right of each parameter
To change a value uncheck the box under OBiTalk Setting
Then uncheck the box under Device Default
Now change the value
After you have made all the necessary changes for that page, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi and reboot it.
Wait until this process is complete before continuing to the next page.

patlaw

Quote from: azrobert on May 09, 2015, 11:31:30 PM
Now about the OBion softphone. Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. The OBi200 number and the softphone number are their 9 digit OBi number. Correct? You call the device by dialing **9 followed by the 9 digit OBi number. To be able to successfully call the OBion softphone it has to be installed on a smartphone, either an Android or iPhone and it must be active and connected to the OBiTalk servers. The 404 error means Not Found, so the OBion softphone was not connected to the OBiTalk servers.

Thanks for the help. The softphone I'm talking about has a nine-digit number that starts with a "2". I do not have ObiON installed on a smartphone. There is a web version of a softphone that uses WebRTC built into the Obitalk website. That's the one I'm talking about. Is there a way to call the WebRTC softphone built into the Obitalk website using the nine-digit number that begins with a "2". It sounds like there is not.

I'll follow your steps to disable AA. It's surprising that Obi has not added a simple check box to disable it. Thanks.

azrobert

The call button is only for outbound.
Do you want to call a computer from your OBi?
Do you also want to make outbound calls from a computer?
Is the computer on the same LAN?
You can do this by installing an SIP softphone on the computer.