News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I need help please!

Started by Muscle, May 07, 2015, 05:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muscle

I am new to the obi. I ported my home telephone number to google voice. I have an obi200, all i want to do is when people call my home number that i ported is that it rings my home number, so far its works for some people but others it wil not let through i turned off call screening i also turned off all forwarding options, i do not want it forwarding to google chat or my email. i dont even want to use google voice mail as my home phone has a answering device. Can anyone please help. I also paid for a phone service called localphone which i dont think i even needed now?

Muscle

Btw, i have GV setup as sp1 set for outgoing calls, due to the fact when i had localphone set for outgoing calls it would show a different number on caller id  (the person i was calling) GV showed the correct number. I have localphone setup as sp2 for inconing calls.

Rick

First, you need to clarify what you're trying to do.  You've made some changes that are going to conflict going forward.

You ported your home number to GV.  So yes, you can setup your OBi to get those calls and make calls on that number.  It sounds like you've done that on SP1.  It SHOULD let all calls through.  The problem is that you then screwed it up by undoing all forwarding.

You want to check Google Chat, because that's how your OBi gets calls.  If you do check that, unless you setup call screening or block numbers, the phone should ring for everyone calling.

You then state that you don't want to use GV Voicemail.  Well, as with many things Google, you have no choice UNLESS you make your home answering machine answer before GV Voicemail kicks in, which is at around 5 rings or 25 seconds.  So if you set your home answering machine to 4 rings, it SHOULD pickup first.  If GV thinks that's 25 seconds, then it will pick up and you'll have to change to 3 rings.

As far as Localphone, what was your goal in setting it up?  Are you trying to setup 911 service?

Muscle

Thanks for the response, I really have not played with settings other then GV settings, I'm at work now and just turned forward to google chat back on, then tried my home number again this time it did go to my home phone and the answering machine came on. So i guess i have to look at it like google chat is my obi200? Also i do have call screening and GV voicemail off. As to localphone I thought you needed a service other then GV to place and recieve calls, i only make local calls. So I dont need localphone?

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Muscle on May 07, 2015, 07:41:21 AM
Thanks for the response, I really have not played with settings other then GV settings, I'm at work now and just turned forward to google chat back on, then tried my home number again this time it did go to my home phone and the answering machine came on. So i guess i have to look at it like google chat is my obi200? Also i do have call screening and GV voicemail off. As to localphone I thought you needed a service other then GV to place and recieve calls, i only make local calls. So I dont need localphone?

Forwarding GV to Google Chat puts your inbound call onto the Google XMPP platform that your OBi uses/is connected to... so yes, GV >> GChat >> XMPP >> Obi >> phone.

GV-OBi supports inbound and outbound calling.

You may want a second service provider for 911 emergency service and backup.

See my Google Voice notes (below) for additional GV details.

OE